Scratch Made Green Bean Casserole with Crispy Shallot Topping is a great side dish for a holiday or any meal. Green beans are coated in creamy homemade mushroom soup and topped with crispy shallot parmesan bread crumbs.
Green bean casserole is a classic side dish. This is my made-from-scratch version, meaning that I don’t use any creamed soups or canned fried onions. Homemade mushroom soup and crispy fried shallots set this green bean casserole apart from the classic version.
There really isn’t much to making mushroom soup from scratch. Just start out by sautéing onions and mushrooms in some butter and oil. Then stir in some flour, salt, and pepper; and slowly add some milk. And there you have it, mushroom soup.
Sometimes I just use a couple bags of frozen green beans (that had been thawed) to make my green bean casserole.
I really think that the extra effort is worth it. It ends up tasting fresh and delicious, even if you use frozen green beans.
Scratch Made Green Bean Casserole with Crispy Shallot Topping
For the Green Beans
- 2 tbsp. olive oil
- 1 tbsp. butter
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 8 oz. mushrooms, sliced
- 3 tbsp. all purpose flour
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1/2 tsp. ground black pepper
- 2 cups 2% milk
- 24 oz. green beans, trimmed (fresh or thawed if using frozen)
For the Topping
- 1 tbsp. olive oil
- 1 tbsp. butter
- 3 large shallots, sliced
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 1/2 cup panko breadcrumbs
- 1/4 cup parmesan cheese
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Prepare the Green Beans. Add the olive oil and butter to a large skillet over medium-high heat until the butter melts. Add the onions and mushrooms and cook about 8 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Stir in the flour, salt, and pepper. Cook for 1 minute. Slowly whisk in the milk ½ a cup at a time. Bring to a boil to thicken.
- Turn off the heat. Stir in the green beans.
- Pour the green bean mixture into a 7×11 inch (or 9×9 inch) baking dish that has been sprayed with cooking spray.
- Prepare the topping. Add the oil and butter to a medium skillet and place over medium-high heat for 2 minutes. Add the shallots and salt. Cook for 6 minutes, stirring occasionally. Remove from the heat and let cool for 5 minutes. Add the breadcrumbs and parmesan to the shallots. Stir well.
- Sprinkle the shallot/breadcrumb mixture evenly over the green beans. Bake for 35-40 minutes, until the topping is brown.
|Amount Per Serving||As Served|
|Calories 153 Calories from fat 89|
|% Daily Value|
|Total Fat 8.1||12%|
|Saturated Fat 3||15%|
|Dietary Fiber 2.3||9%|
Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs:
|Total Fat||Less than||65g|
|Sat Fat||Less than||25g|