Broccoli Salad is an easy side dish recipe everyone loves. Sweet & tangy dressing with broccoli, bacon, carrots, raisins, and red onions.
Broccoli Bacon Salad
I love an easy side dish that can be made ahead of time. This classic broccoli salad recipe is so versatile. It’s great for a quick side dish for a busy weeknight meal. It would be perfect for bringing to a BBQ or potluck. It would even work as a holiday recipe. I served this last Easter with ham and everyone loved it.
How To Make This Broccoli Salad Recipe
*Note: The full printable recipe card is at the bottom of this post.
- This is a one bowl recipe. So, make the homemade dressing in the bottom of a large mixing bowl.
- Add mayonnaise, red wine vinegar, sugar, salt, and pepper.
- Whisk until smooth.
- To the dressing bowl, add broccoli florets, crumbled bacon, grated carrots, raisins, and red onions.
- Stir well to coat everything in dressing.
- Cover the bowl with plastic wrap.
- Let it chill in the refrigerator for at least 1 hour.
Can This Be Made Ahead Of Time
Yes. In fact, I think broccoli salad tastes the best after it has been chilling for about 4 hours. You can definitely make it the night before you plan on serving it.
It will last in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. But, after about 1 day, some of the veggies will start loosing some of their crunch.
- Switch out the raisins for dried cranberries.
- Switch out the grated carrots for shredded cheddar cheese.
- Add sunflower seeds or sliced almonds.
- Add fresh fruit like chopped apples, sliced grapes, or quartered strawberries.
More Great Easy Side Dish Recipes
The Best Classic Broccoli Salad Recipe
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 3 Tablespoons granulated sugar
- 3 Tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 6 cups small broccoli florets
- 1 cup grated carrots
- 3/4 cup raisins I use golden
- 1/2 cup cooked crumbled bacon bits
- 1/3 cup diced red onion
- In a large bowl, add the mayo, sugar, vinegar, salt, and pepper. Whisk until well combined.
- Add the broccoli, carrots, raisins, bacon bits, and red onions. Stir well.
- Cover and refrigerate for at least one hour, or up to three days.
- Stir well before serving. Serve cold.