The Best Classic Green Bean Casserole Recipe is a mix of Campbell’s and French’s recipes. This easy side dish is perfect for holidays or a weeknight meal.
Easy Green Bean Casserole Recipe
This classic recipe is often served as a holiday side dish. But it’s so quick and easy to make, it’s also a great side on busy weeknights.
This recipe calls for canned green beans, condensed cream of mushroom soup, and canned fried onions. The whole thing can be prepared in 5 minutes.
How To Make Green Bean Casserole
Note: The full printable recipe is located in the recipe card at the bottom of this post.
- Drain the liquid from two cans of green beans. I like cut green beans, but any style of green beans will work.
- Place the beans in a mixing bowl.
- Add a can of condensed cream of mushroom soup. I use Campbell’s (NO affiliation).
- Add 1/2 cup of canned fried onions. I use French’s Fried Onions (NO affiliation).
- Stir until well combined.
- Transfer the bean mixture to a 9×9 inch baking dish.
How Long To Cook Green Bean Casserole
It is best to cook this casserole in stages.
- Cook it at 350 degrees F for 20 minutes until the liquid is hot and bubbly.
- Then, top it with more fried onions and cook it for another 10 minutes to get the onions extra crispy.
Can You Make Green Bean Casserole Ahead Of Time
Yes! If you want to use this as a make ahead green bean casserole recipe, just prepare the casserole according to the directions before the baking step. Instead, cover the dish with plastic wrap and store it in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
When you’re ready to bake it, remove it from the refrigerator and let it come to room temperature as the oven is preheating. Remove the plastic wrap and bake according to the directions. It may require an additional 10 minutes of bake time to get the liquid hot and bubbly.
What Can You Substitute For Cream Of Mushroom Soup
Any condensed cream soup will work in this recipe. If you don’t like mushrooms, you could also try:
- Cream of chicken soup
- Cream of celery soup
- Cream of bacon soup
- Cream of asparagus soup
- Cream of potato soup
What Goes With Green Bean Casserole
This dish would be great for Thanksgiving or Christmas. But, if you are making it for an easy dinner, try it with these recipes:
Watch The Step By Step Video For This Green Bean Casserole Recipe Below
The Best Classic Green Bean Casserole Recipe
Watch The Recipe Video Here
- 2 (14.5 oz.) cans green beans drained
- 1 (10.75 oz.) can condensed cream of mushroom soup
- 2 cups french fried onions divided
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- In a large mixing bowl, add the drained green beans, mushroom soup, and 1/2 cup of the fried onions. Stir to combine.
- Pour the green bean mixture into a 9x9 (or 7x11) inch baking dish. Spread it out in an even layer.
- Bake for 20 minutes. Stir.
- Sprinkle evenly with the remaining onions. Bake for 10 more minutes.