Small Batch Funeral Potatoes – AKA cheesy potato casserole with corn flake topping, party potatoes, or potluck potatoes – scaled down to make a great side dish.
This cheesy potato casserole is absolutely delicious. It’s base is creamy cheesy potatoes that get topped with buttered corn flakes cereal that get crispy when baked.
A traditional Funeral Potatoes recipe (AKA potluck potatoes or party potatoes) makes a ton. So it’s a great dish to bring to an event with a lot of people, like a funeral, potluck, or party. 🙂
The only problem with this recipe (other than the name) is that even though it’s really good, I would never make it as a side dish because I don’t want to have to eat cheesy potatoes every day for a week.
Problem solved! This small batch version of funeral potatoes is great for a side dish to feed your family. Now you don’t have to wait for a big event to eat these perfect potatoes.
How to make this Funeral Potatoes recipe:
- Add cubed potatoes to a large bowl (I use bagged frozen potatoes)
- Add a can of cream of chicken soup, sour cream, and shredded cheese
- Add salt and garlic powder
- Stir it all together and pour it into a baking dish
Make the crispy buttery corn flake topping:
- Crush up some corn flake cereal
- Melt some butter in a medium bowl
- Add the cereal to the butter and stir it up
- Sprinkle the buttered corn flakes over the potatoes
Looking for a lighter side dish to serve with these cheesy potatoes? Try:
- Avocado Cucumber Tomato Salad with Balsamic Vinaigrette
- Sugar Snap Peas with Garlic
- A side salad with homemade Garlic & Herb Vinaigrette
- Cucumber Salad with Vinegar from Real Mom Nutrition
Watch the step by step recipe video for Small Batch Funeral Potatoes below:
- 3 cups frozen cubed potatoes -thawed at room temperature for at least 30 minutes
- 1 (15 oz.) can condensed cream of chicken soup
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 cups corn flakes cereal
- 1/4 cup butter -melted
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Spray a 7x11 (or 9x9) inch baking dish with cooking spray.
In a large bowl, add the potatoes, cream of chicken soup, sour cream, cheddar cheese, salt, and garlic powder. Stir until well combined and the potatoes are evenly coated.
- Pour the potatoes into the baking dish and spread them out into an even layer.
- Place the corn flakes in a plastic food storage bag. Seal the bag and use your hands to gently squeeze the bag and crush the corn flakes.
- Pour the crushed corn flakes into a small bowl. Add the melted butter. Stir to coat the cereal.
- Spoon the corn flakes evenly over the potatoes.
- Bake uncovered for 35 minutes. Cool 5 minutes before serving.