One Pot Creamy Chicken and Rice is full of chicken, veggies, and cheesy rice. And, it all comes together in one skillet!
To make this comforting, easy to prepare meal, start by sautéing some chicken in a large skillet with carrots, celery, onions, and garlic. Add uncooked rice, chicken broth, milk and a bay leaf. Cover the skillet and let it simmer for around 20 minutes. The rice gets tender. The chicken cooks through. And, the veggies soften as it simmers.
Once it’s cooked, add some frozen peas and grated parmesan cheese. The heat from the rice will warm the peas. The parmesan adds extra flavor and creaminess to the dish.
This One Pot Creamy Chicken and Rice is such an easy one-dish dinner with minimal clean up. It’s perfect for a busy weeknight meal.
Watch the short recipe video here 🙂
One Pot Creamy Chicken and Rice
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 16 oz. boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into bite size chunks (about 1 1/2 inch cubes)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper pepper
- 1 cup chopped carrots (about 2 large carrots)
- 1 cup sliced celery (about 2 stalks)
- 1 cup diced yellow onion (about 1 small onion)
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 cup uncooked long grain white rice
- 1 1/4 cup chicken broth
- 1 cup whole milk
- 1 large dried bay leaf
- 1 cup frozen baby peas
- 1/3 cup grated parmesan cheese
- Add the oil to a large, non-stick, high-sided skillet (one that has a lid) and place over medium-high heat for 2 minutes. Add the chicken, salt, and pepper. Cook 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add the carrots, celery, onion, and garlic. Cook 2 minutes, stirring often.
- Add the rice, chicken broth, milk and bay leaf. Bring the liquid to a boil.
- Reduce the heat (low to medium-low) so the liquid is simmering. Cover the skillet. Cook 20-23 minutes until the rice is tender, stirring occasionally.
- Stir in the baby peas and parmesan cheese. Remove the skillet from the heat. Remove the bay leaf.
- Let the rice rest uncovered for 5 minutes before serving.
|Serving Size||1/4th of the recipe|
|Amount Per Serving||As Served|
|Calories 474 Calories from fat|
|% Daily Value|
|Total Fat 12.1||19%|
|Saturated Fat 3.3||17%|
|Dietary Fiber 3.4||14%|
Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs:
|Total Fat||Less than||65g|
|Sat Fat||Less than||25g|
Inspired by I Heart Naptime
Looking for more great One Pot meals? Check out these great one dish recipes.