Sliced chorizo sausage with Spanish seasoned rice, veggies, and black beans. It all comes together in one pot. And, it’s ready in about 30 minutes!
I have to admit, this is the first time I’ve ever cooked with chorizo. I don’t know why, though. It’s awesome!
I recently became hooked on the stuff after having a chorizo quesadilla at my favorite Mexican joint. Now I want to put chorizo on/in everything…eggs, pizza, salad…probably all made better with chorizo. 🙂
One thing that I noticed when I went looking for chorizo at the grocery store is that there can be a HUGE difference in its nutritional information depending on the brand you get. I settled on Johnsonville chorizo links since it was literally half the calories per link as the other brand I was comparing it to.
The chorizo only needs to cook for around 10 minutes. Otherwise, it can dry out. I used white rice in this dish, which takes about 20 minutes to cook. So, I added the chorizo after the rice had been simmering for 10 minutes. If you use brown rice, you may want to let the rice and veggies simmer for about 30 minutes before adding the chorizo and letting it all cook together for the last 10 minutes.
One Pot Wonder Spanish Rice with Chorizo Recipe
Watch The Recipe Video Here
- 1 15 oz. can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 10 oz. can Rotel diced tomatoes and chilies
- 1 cup chicken broth or any broth
- 1 medium sweet bell pepper seeded and chopped
- 1 small yellow onion chopped
- ½ cup uncooked rice
- 1 tsp. chili powder
- 1/2 tsp. cumin
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/4 tsp. ground black pepper
- 3/4 lb. chorizo sausage links sliced into 1/2 inch pieces (about 4 links)
- Place a wide, high-sided skillet or pot over high heat. Add the beans, Rotel, broth, bell pepper, onion, rice, chili powder, cumin, salt, and black pepper. Stir to combine. Cover the pot.
- Bring liquid to a boil, then reduce to a simmer. Cook for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add the sliced sausage. Cover. Continue to simmer until the rice is tender and most of the liquid is absorbed (about 10 minutes for white rice).
- Remove the pot from the heat. Uncover and let it rest for 5 minutes before serving.