The Best Classic Chili – This traditional chili recipe is just like mom used to make with ground beef, beans, and a simple homemade blend of chili seasonings.
This classic chili is perfect for a weeknight meal because it can be made in minutes. The only thing to chop is an onion.
How do you make good homemade chili?
- Heat olive in a large soup pot.
- Add chopped onion and cook for 5 minutes.
- Add ground beef and break it apart with a wooden spoon.
- Cook for 6-7 minutes.
- Add chili powder, cumin, sugar, tomato paste, garlic powder, salt, pepper, and optional cayenne.
- Stir until well combined.
- Add diced tomatoes, kidney beans, beef broth, and tomato sauce.
- Stir well.
- Simmer for 20-25 minutes.
- Let the chili rest for 5-10 minutes before serving.
What do you top chili with?
In addition to the chili ingredients listed in this recipe for chili, you may also want to have these things as toppings.
- shredded cheddar cheese
- sour cream
- sliced green onions
- saltine crackers or oyster crackers
- diced avocado
What goes well with chili for dinner?
I’ve been playing around with this chili recipe for the past few months, making it many times. My family didn’t mind the repetition at all because I really do believe that I ended up with the best chili ever!
Watch the step by step recipe video for this chili recipe below.
Find more of my recipes on TikTok
The Best Classic Chili Recipe
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium yellow onion -diced
- 1 pound 90% lean ground beef
- 2 1/2 tablespoons chili powder
- 2 tablespoons ground cumin
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cayenne pepper* -optional
- 1 1/2 cups beef broth
- 1 (15 oz.) can petite diced tomatoes
- 1 (16 oz.) can red kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 (8 oz.) can tomato sauce
- Add the olive oil to a large soup pot and place it over medium-high heat for two minutes. Add the onion. Cook for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add the ground beef to the pot. Break it apart with a wooden spoon. Cook for 6-7 minutes, until the beef is browned, stirring occasionally.
- Add the chili powder, cumin, sugar, tomato paste, garlic powder, salt, pepper, and optional cayenne. Stir until well combined.
- Add the broth, diced tomatoes (with their juice), drained beans, and tomato sauce. Stir well.
- Bring the liquid to a low boil. Then, reduce the heat (low to medium-low) to gently simmer the chili, uncovered, for 20-25 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Remove the pot from the heat. Let the chili rest for 5-10 minutes before serving.
Check out all of my great ground beef recipes.
My husband and I thought the balance of this seasoning is perfect HOWEVER it makes a ton. I didn’t even have enough of all of the ingredients but when I was done I saw how much it made and thought it was way more than any packet used for 1 lb of meat. So I made the spice ingredients (didn’t use sugar as I don’t like it in my chili and used a limited amount of the tomato paste/sauce)but then started with 3 tablespoons of the seasoning and then suited to taste from there. I’m keeping the recipe because it is a solid base and better than the store bought. Thanks!! Now if I could find taco seasoning that was perfect….still on the hunt for that, lol
This is awesome. I had never made chilli before. I did add more beans and some Rotelle. I’m making it again today. My man loves it.
This is My go to chili recipe with a couple of changes. I add 1 chopped green pepper, 1/2 teaspoon of all spice, more cayenne pepper and I’ll simmer it on low for an hour stirring occasionally. My boyfriend can’t get enough of it. Every time it finishes he wants me to make more.
Perfect blend of spices. I tend to cook it a bit longer to thicken the chili, but this has become a go-to recipe not just for at home, but to bring to parties or to help out busy friends and family who need help with extra meals because it stores well. Thank you!!
I had a packet of McCormick Chili seasoning and a pound of beef. Then company showed up! Ut-OH, took out another lb of beef ad followed this recipe. Best best chili EVER. Will use this from now on instead of packet.
I love this recipe, the whole family loves it. Simple yet delicious.
First time making chili and this was so easy to make and so good, like im getting myself another bowl of it as im writting this, TOO GOOD
This is the BEST and EASIEST chili recipe I have ever tried! It was so easy to make, it doesn’t require any crazy ingredients, just simple, amazingly good chili!
In my pot, I substituted the cayenne pepper for about 5 or 6 drops of Tobacco habanero sauce. It came out delicious!
Unfortunately my chili tasted like there was much too much cumin…
Ummm so made this 4 times. It’s really good
I don’t measure when I make mine so I used your recipe to walk my daughter through it for her first time and she loves it! She added just a lil more pepper and cayenne! She’s a hot little pepper! First chili success! Thanks!
I made a no bean chili because I don’t like kidney beans. My husband said it came out Really , good just wish there was beans in it ,so tomorrow I’m going to buy a can of red kidney and put it in the chili just for him!
Loved it easy simple recipe everyone loved it!
Very nice, simple, and to the point, the way chili was meant to be. Of course, I tossed in a little of this* and that** along the way but didn’t wander too far from the proffered path. Many thanks, Amanda.
* smoky paprika, chipotle chili powder, a small can of hot green chilis
** 12 oz of lager beer instead of broth