This hearty beef and bean Maple Bourbon Chili has the deep rich flavor of bourbon with the sweetness of maple syrup.
I thought I would jazz up a traditional chili recipe with some bourbon and maple syrup. These two flavors work surprisingly well together, especially in a big comforting bowl of thick, rich chili.
I went all out with chili toppings and topped my Maple Bourbon Chili with shredded cheddar cheese, sour cream, and chopped green onions.
Watch the step by step video for this Maple Bourbon Chili Recipe below.
Maple Bourbon Chili Recipe
Watch The Recipe Video Here
- 1 lb. extra-lean ground beef
- 1 medium yellow onion chopped
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 1 tbsp. chili powder
- 1 tsp. ground cumin
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1/2 tsp. ground black pepper
- 1/2 tsp. cayenne pepper
- 1 (15 oz.) can red kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 (14.5 oz.) can petite diced tomatoes
- 1 (8 oz.) can tomato sauce
- 1/4 cup bourbon
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- Optional: Up to 1 cup of water I use 1/2 cup
- Add the beef to a large soup pot and place over medium-high heat. Break the beef apart with a wooden spoon. Add the onion. Cook 6-8 minutes, stirring occasionally. Beef should be cooked through. Drain off any excess fat, if necessary.
- Add the garlic, chili powder, cumin, salt, black pepper, and cayenne pepper. Cook 1 minute, stirring often.
- Add the beans, tomatoes, tomato sauce, bourbon, and maple syrup. *If you like thinner chili, add up to 1 cup of water at this point. Stir well. Bring the liquid to a boil. Then, reduce the heat to low or medium-low. Simmer for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Let the chili rest for 5 minutes before serving.
Check out all of my great ground beef recipes.