Pesto Chicken and Rice Casserole – A simple chicken and rice dinner that takes minutes to prepare and can be made in one dish.
Disclosure: This recipe post is sponsored by Just BARE Chicken. Thank you for supporting the brands that support The Wholesome Dish!
Just BARE Chicken Thighs are the star of this dish. Chicken thighs are juicy, flavorful, and very versatile. They’re good for baking, braising, grilling, and frying.
The Just BARE Chicken Thighs come from chickens that are vegetable and grain fed and are raised with no added hormones and no antibiotics—ever.
For more information about Just BARE Chicken Thighs, visit the Just BARE website. You can also check out Just BARE on their social channels: Facebook, Pinterest, Twitter, YouTube, and now on Instagram.
To make this recipe, add rice, chicken broth, and pesto to a large baking dish. Place four Just BARE Chicken Thighs on top of the rice. Then, coat the chicken skin in pesto.
Cover the baking dish with aluminum foil and bake for an hour.
At this point, the rice will be tender and the chicken will be cooked through.
My baking dish is broiler safe, so I placed the whole dish under the broiler for about 5 minutes until the chicken skin was brown and crispy.
If you don’t have a baking dish that is broiler safe, transfer the chicken to a baking sheet. Then, broil the chicken until the skin is brown and crisp.
Watch these videos for more Easy Dinner Recipes:
Pesto Chicken and Rice Casserole
- 2 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 cup long-grain white rice uncooked
- 1/3 cup pesto + 2 tablespoons, divided
- 4 chicken thighs Just BARE, bone-in, skin-on
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- Preheat oven to 350° F. Spray a 13x9 inch baking dish with cooking spray.
- Add broth, rice, and 1/3 cup pesto to the baking dish. Gently stir until the pesto is well distributed.
- Season both sides of the chicken with salt and pepper. Place the chicken, skin side up, in the baking dish. Divide two tablespoons of pesto between the chicken pieces. Spread out the pesto to cover most of the chicken skin.
- Cover the dish with aluminum foil. Make sure the foil forms a good seal on the dish to trap in steam.
- Bake for 1 hour.
- Remove the foil from the dish. Stir the rice. Set the broiler to high.
- If your baking dish is broiler safe, make sure the chicken pieces are sitting on top of the rice (not covered by the rice). Place the baking dish under the broiler until the chicken skin is brown and crisp (3-6 minutes). If your baking dish is not broiler safe, transfer the chicken to a baking sheet and place the baking sheet under the broiler until the chicken skin is crisp.