This creamy Broccoli Cheddar Soup is full of broccoli, carrots, garlic, and cheese. Make better than Panera soup at home in under 30 minutes.
This quick and easy recipe is perfect for a cozy Fall weeknight meal. It’s the seventh recipe in my Fall soup series.
How To Make Broccoli Cheddar Soup
Note: This is a summary. The full printable recipe and step by step video are located at the bottom of this post.
- Add butter and olive oil to a large soup pot.
- Add broccoli florets, grated carrots, and diced onions.
- Cook until the broccoli is soft.
- Add minced garlic and flour.
- Cook for 2 minutes.
- Add half & half one cup at a time, stirring until smooth after each addition.
- Add chicken broth, salt, garlic powder, paprika, and pepper.
- Stir well.
- Bring the liquid to a boil.
- Reduce to a simmer.
- Cook 5 minutes.
- Add shredded cheddar cheese.
- Stir until the cheese is melted.
I like to serve my broccoli cheese soup with extra shredded cheddar for topping, and garlic bread sticks for dipping.
How To Store
Store in a sealed container in the refrigerator for up to five days. Or, store in the freezer for up to three months. Transfer the container to the refrigerator to thaw the day before you want to reheat it.
More Great Soup Recipes
Find more of my recipes on TikTok
Broccoli Cheddar Soup Recipe
- 3 Tbsp olive oil
- 2 Tbsp unsalted butter
- 4 cups chopped broccoli florets
- 1 cup grated carrots
- ½ cup diced yellow onion
- 4 garlic cloves -minced
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 cups half & half
- 4 cups chicken broth (or any broth you like)
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1 1/2 cups shredded cheddar cheese (I use sharp)
- Add the oil and butter to a large soup pot and place it over medium-high heat. Once the butter is melted, add the broccoli, carrots, and onions. Cook, stirring occasionally, for 7-8 minutes, until the onion is translucent and the broccoli is soft.
- Add the minced garlic and flour. Cook, stirring often, for 2 minutes.
- Add one cup of the half & half. Stir until smooth. Repeat with the remaining half & half.
- Add the broth, salt, garlic powder, paprika, and pepper. Stir well. Bring the liquid to a simmer. Cook 5 minutes.
- Add the cheese to the soup. Stir until the cheese is melted and well incorporated.