Cornbread Stuffing with Apples has a touch of sweetness and a little crunch from apples, celery, and onions. It’s the perfect holiday side dish recipe.
This is a great side dish for a holiday meal or a party because it feeds a crowd.
Either homemade or store-bought cornbread will work for this recipe. If you are making your own cornbread with a box mix, use 2 Jiffy corn muffin mixes and prepare the cornbread in a 7×11 or 9×9 inch baking dish.
The cornbread gets cut into cubes and spread out onto a baking sheet. Then it gets baked again to dry it out, making it ideal for stuffing.
The dried cornbread gets combined with apples, sautéed celery and onions, and chicken broth. Then it all gets spread into a large baking dish and baked until the top is golden.
Try these other great side dish recipes.
Watch the step by step recipe video for Cornbread Stuffing with Apples below.
Cornbread Stuffing with Apples Recipe
- 18 to 24 oz. prepared cornbread -cut into ½ inch cubes
- 2 tbsp. olive oil
- 1 tbsp. butter
- 1 large onion -chopped
- 4 stalks of celery -sliced
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1/2 tsp. ground black pepper
- 2 ¼ to 2 3/4 cups chicken or vegetable broth
- 3 medium apples -chopped
- Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Spread cornbread onto two rimmed baking sheets and bake until dry and golden, about 15 minutes.
- In the meantime, heat the oil and butter in a 3 quart sauce pot over medium heat. Add the onion, celery, salt, and pepper and sauté until slightly tender and translucent (about 5 minutes).
- Stir in 2 ¼ cups of the broth and the apples. Remove the pot from the heat and add in the cornbread. Mix to moisten the cornbread. If the mixture seems a little dry, add more broth at this stage.
- Spoon the mixture into a large baking dish that has been sprayed with cooking spray. Bake until top is golden, about 20-25 minutes.