Mashed Potato Casserole is serious comfort food. Mashed potatoes spread into a casserole dish and baked, then sprinkled with cheese and green onions. A great make ahead side dish perfect for a holiday or any time of year!
Mashed potato casserole is serious comfort food. Mashed potatoes are spread into a dish and baked, then sprinkled with cheese and green onions.
This casserole is great for a holiday menu or party because it serves 10, the mashed potatoes could be prepared ahead of time, and it’s a real crowd pleaser. Who doesn’t love warm cheesy potatoes?
Mashed Potato Casserole recipe
- 8 medium russet potatoes
- 1 cup sour cream
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/4 to 1/2 cup chicken broth
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 3 green onions -sliced
- 2 tablespoons bacon bits or crumbles
- Peel the potatoes and chop them into cubes (about 2”x2”).
- Place the potatoes in a large pot and cover with water. Boil the potatoes until the potatoes are cooked through (about 15 minutes). Drain the water from the potatoes using a colander. Return the potatoes back to the hot pot.
- Mash the potatoes with a potato masher. Add the sour cream, butter, salt, and pepper to the potatoes and stir to combine. Stir in the chicken broth until the mashed potatoes are your preferred consistency.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Spray a 9x13 inch baking dish with cooking spray.
- Spread the potatoes into the baking dish. Sprinkle evenly with cheese. Cover the dish with foil and bake for 20 minutes.
- Immediately after removing the dish from the oven, sprinkle with the green onions and bacon bits.