Chocolate Cream Pie is the perfect easy dessert recipe for summer. It’s cool, creamy, and has intense chocolate flavor.
I absolutely love the intense chocolate flavor in this pie. And, it really is easy to put together.
Graham cracker pie crust gets filled with a rich homemade chocolate pudding. Once chilled, the whole thing gets slathered with whipped cream.
How To Make Chocolate Cream Pie
*Note: The full printable recipe card is at the bottom of this post.
- Whisk together milk and cornstarch in a sauce pot.
- Add sugar and chocolate chips.
- Heat it up while stirring constantly.
- Once the chocolate pudding is thick, remove it from the heat.
- Stir in some butter and vanilla.
- Pour the chocolate pie filling into a prepared graham cracker pie crust.
- Place it in the refrigerator until it is completely chilled.
- Top the pie with whipped cream.
Can This Be Made Ahead Of Time
Yes! This is a perfect make ahead dessert recipe because of how long it needs to chill in the refrigerator. I like to make this recipe the night before I want to serve it so it has plenty of chill time.
How To Store
Once the pie has completely cooled, cover it loosely in plastic wrap. Store it in the refrigerator.
Don’t try to cover the pie before it has cooled. That will cause condensation/wetness on the plastic wrap.
How Long Will Chocolate Pudding Pie Last
This will keep for 3-4 days in the refrigerator.
It is possible to freeze this pie, but I don’t recommend it. The creamy texture of the chocolate filling and the slight crispness of the crust doesn’t hold up after freezing.
Can I Use A Different Crust
Absolutely. Some people prefer a traditional pastry pie crust for chocolate cream pie. This type of crust would need to be pre-baked and cooled before filling.
Another great option would be a chocolate graham cracker crust for even more chocolate flavor. I’ve even seen some grocery stores carry prepared Oreo flavored pie crust.
Try These Other Decadent Dessert Recipes
Chocolate Cream Pie Recipe
- 1 prepared graham cracker pie crust
- 3 cups whole milk
- 1/3 cup cornstarch
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 6 ounces semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 3 Tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups whipped cream or whipped topping
- Add the milk and cornstarch to a large pot. Whisk until the cornstarch is dissolved.
- Place the pot over medium heat. Add the sugar and chocolate chips to the pot. Cook, stirring often, for 6-8 minutes, until the liquid starts to bubble and becomes thick like pudding. Remove from the heat.
- Add the butter and vanilla. Stir until smooth.
- Pour the chocolate into the pie crust.
- Refrigerate for at least 4 hours, until the filling is completely chilled throughout.
- Top with the whipped cream.