Savory pumpkin bread pudding with smoked gruyere cheese, shallots, and sage is a fabulous fall recipe. It’s perfect as an entree or side dish.
I was asked to participate in the #soyinspired campaign as a member of the Healthy Aperture Blogger Network. I was compensated for my time.
The holidays are almost here! For many, that means lots of house guests, experimenting in the kitchen, feeding a crowd, and sometimes, indulging in foods that are not in our typical diet.
I’ve teamed up with Healthy Aperture and The Soy Foods Council to create a healthier holiday themed recipe using soy.
Soy is a lean protein source that doesn’t have a dominating flavor. So, it’s great for pairing with your favorite Fall or Holiday foods. Or, it can even be hidden in recipes, as in this savory pumpkin bread pudding recipe.
This savory bread casserole has the flavors of pumpkin and smokey gruyere cheese with a hint of sage and shallot. Silken tofu is paired with pureed pumpkin to give the bread pudding that customary creaminess, and provide a protein boost.
The tofu is also being used as an egg substitute. So, if your family or holiday guests have an egg allergy, this dish would be a great option.
This is a hearty, satisfying recipe that could be served as an entree or as a side dish. When cut into 8 large portions, it’s only 257 calories per serving.
Savory Pumpkin Bread Pudding Recipe
- 2 tsp. olive oil
- 2 medium shallots, sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 (16 oz.) loaf hearty bakery-style bread (I used whole grain)
- 4 oz. smoked gruyere cheese, shredded
- 1/3 cup sliced fresh sage leaves
- 1 1/4 cups pumpkin puree
- 1 cup silken tofu
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1/2 tsp. ground black pepper
- 1 1/2 cups 2% milk (or your preferred milk/milk alternative)
- Add the olive oil to a small skillet and place over medium heat for 2 minutes. Add the shallots and cook for 3 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add the garlic and cook for 1 minute, stirring often. Remove from the heat. Cool.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Spray a 13×9 inch baking dish with cooking spray.
- Cut the bread into 1 inch cubes. Add the bread cubes, cheese, sage, and cooked shallots to a large bowl. Mix well.
- In a medium bowl, add the pumpkin, tofu, salt, and pepper. Whisk until almost smooth (about 1 minute). Add the milk. Whisk until well combined.
- Add the pumpkin mixture to the bowl with the bread. Gently stir until the bread is evenly coated in pumpkin.
- Pour the bread mixture into the baking dish. Spread it into an even layer and gently press it down with the back of a wooden spoon. Let the bread rest for 10 minutes to absorb the pumpkin sauce.
- Bake for 35-40 minutes, until the center is set. Cool for 5 minutes before serving.
|Amount Per Serving||As Served|
|Calories 257 Calories from fat 45|
|% Daily Value|
|Total Fat 9.1||14%|
|Saturated Fat 3.8||19%|
|Dietary Fiber 3.8||15%|
Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs:
|Total Fat||Less than||65g|
|Sat Fat||Less than||25g|