Holiday season is fast approaching and that means lots of parties and gatherings with family and friends. Greek Bruschetta with Feta is a tasty appetizer to serve at, or bring to a party. Once these have been assembled, they are great left at room temperature for up to two hours. I love the combination of the salty creamy feta mixture with the crunchy veggies. Here is what you will need to make these.
Slice the bread and toast under a broiler.
Mash the feta, yogurt, garlic, and half the basil together and spread on the toast.
Combine the oil, vinegar, oregano, salt, and pepper to make a vinaigrette. Toss the tomatoes, cucumbers, onions, and the rest of the basil in the vinaigrette. Spoon the tomato mixture on top of the cheesy toast.
Sometimes I make it a little easier on myself by preparing the ingredients ahead of time. First, I slice up the bread and put the slices into a large Ziploc bag for up to a day. I prepare the feta mixture and tomato mixture up to 8 hours ahead of time and store them covered in the refrigerator. Then, when I’m ready to serve it, I can do a quick assembly.
Greek Bruschetta with Feta
- 10 1/2oz french baguette
- 4oz feta cheese, crumbled (about 1 cup)
- 1/2 cup plain greek yogurt, non-fat
- 2 tablespoons fresh basil, chopped (divided)
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 1/2 cup tomatoes, seeded and chopped
- 1/2 large cucumber, peeled, seeded, and chopped
- 1/4 large red onion, chopped
- Cut the baguette on a diagonal into ½ to ¾ of an inch slices (makes about 22 slices). Arrange into one layer on a cookie sheet. Place under a broiler set to high until the top of the bread is lightly toasted.
- Add the feta, yogurt, garlic, and 1 tablespoon of basil to a small bowl and mash together with a fork. Store covered in the refrigerator for up to 8 hours.
- In a small bowl, add the olive oil, vinegar, oregano, salt, and pepper. Whisk until well combined. Add the tomatoes, cucumber, red onion, and remaining basil. Stir to combine. Store covered in the refrigerator for up to 8 hours.
- Divide the feta mixture between the bread slices. Spread into a thin layer on the toasted side of the bread. Top with the tomato mixture.