The Best Classic Chili – This traditional chili recipe is just like mom used to make with ground beef, beans, and a simple homemade blend of chili seasonings.
This classic chili is perfect for a weeknight meal because it can be made in minutes. The only thing to chop is an onion.
How do you make good homemade chili?
- Heat olive in a large soup pot.
- Add chopped onion and cook for 5 minutes.
- Add ground beef and break it apart with a wooden spoon.
- Cook for 6-7 minutes.
- Add chili powder, cumin, sugar, tomato paste, garlic powder, salt, pepper, and optional cayenne.
- Stir until well combined.
- Add diced tomatoes, kidney beans, beef broth, and tomato sauce.
- Stir well.
- Simmer for 20-25 minutes.
- Let the chili rest for 5-10 minutes before serving.
What do you top chili with?
In addition to the chili ingredients listed in this recipe for chili, you may also want to have these things as toppings.
- shredded cheddar cheese
- sour cream
- sliced green onions
- saltine crackers or oyster crackers
- diced avocado
What goes well with chili for dinner?
I’ve been playing around with this chili recipe for the past few months, making it many times. My family didn’t mind the repetition at all because I really do believe that I ended up with the best chili ever!
Watch the step by step recipe video for this chili recipe below.
Find more of my recipes on TikTok
The Best Classic Chili Recipe
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium yellow onion -diced
- 1 pound 90% lean ground beef
- 2 1/2 tablespoons chili powder
- 2 tablespoons ground cumin
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cayenne pepper* -optional
- 1 1/2 cups beef broth
- 1 (15 oz.) can petite diced tomatoes
- 1 (16 oz.) can red kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 (8 oz.) can tomato sauce
- Add the olive oil to a large soup pot and place it over medium-high heat for two minutes. Add the onion. Cook for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add the ground beef to the pot. Break it apart with a wooden spoon. Cook for 6-7 minutes, until the beef is browned, stirring occasionally.
- Add the chili powder, cumin, sugar, tomato paste, garlic powder, salt, pepper, and optional cayenne. Stir until well combined.
- Add the broth, diced tomatoes (with their juice), drained beans, and tomato sauce. Stir well.
- Bring the liquid to a low boil. Then, reduce the heat (low to medium-low) to gently simmer the chili, uncovered, for 20-25 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Remove the pot from the heat. Let the chili rest for 5-10 minutes before serving.
Check out all of my great ground beef recipes.
I MEAN!!!! WOWWW!!! This the BEST CHILLI IVE EVER TASTED!!!! Plus I added the chili mix mild and HOT season it turned out AMAZING!!! Hands down the best chili recipe =)
The best ever chili. My recipe forever.
This is the best chili ever. Kinda reminded me of mothers ( see would never added hot spices I love them) this will always be my go to.
My wife, who complains about EVERYTHING, was very complimentary of this recipe. Thanks for a great recipe that even my nag nag naggy wife can enjoy.
I’ve never made so much chili in my life as I have since finding your recipe. Thank You for it!
I followed the recipe but I doubled it. I also added smoked bacon for an additional flavor. Very delicious.
My husband and I loved this!! Added a little ancho chili powder and chipotle powder and used the Rotel diced tomatoes with Serrano pepper. Fantastic! This recipe is a keeper.
I was pulling something out of my cabinet and a container of cocoa powder fell out and burst open all over my ingredients. Chili plus chocolate equals mole so I just went with it. It’s actually pretty good
Great but I cut sodium levels by using no salt added tomatoes,sauce and kidney beans.
Amazing! This was my first time making chili and I’m blown away by how easy and delicious it is. I made a few modifications: I skipped the sugar, used ground turkey instead of beef, and went heavy on the cayenne (we love spice in this household) and it was fantastic. Can’t wait to make it again. Thank you!
First day of winter in south Florida so I pulled up this trusty recipe that I have used I think 3 or 4 times in the past. It was a great decision and the entire household plus two neighbours enjoyed the chili. Thanks for posting this.
Loved this Chili … my husband and I ate the entire amount in one night! Have a question! Serving for 9 at a dinner party Sunday night. Should I quadruple (or more) the recipe? Would you serve the bacon cornbread mentioned with this recipe? Thank you!
I love this recipe! My husband thought too much cumin. Followed everything, except added jalapeño and a green pepper
Not much on cooking but can follow directions. Simple and easy to make. My wife and daugher loved it.
Great recipe, my roommates loved it! Super easy and a great dinner on a chilly night.
first rate chili!!! The portions of everything were perfect and it had a nice kick to it (i added 1/2 the cayenne instead of 1/4).
This will definitely be a staple in our house this winter!
A huge hit with the family . I used Venison bacon burger. The flavor was amazing. I put a scant 1/4 tsp of cayenne in toe recipe. It was spicy but we like spicy.
Definitely will make again. I want to make it for a crowd but two people are allergic to garlic. I wonder how different it would taste if I left out that 1 Tblsp of garlic powder?
I doubled the recipe with very slight adaptions. Came out really good. I lightened the sugar and actually used brown sugar. I used 2lbs of beef. I may use 3 next time to make it heartier.
Curious how big of a pot you used? I was wondering if a 6 quart is big enough to double this recipe???
This is a fantastic recipe! I was craving chili but just about every recipe I came across had a ba-zillion ingredients. This however, was the best chili recipe I’ve ever had (and trust me, I’ve tried many). So simple, yet so savory with such deep flavors. Love it and thank you for sharing!
This is a very tasty, quick chili recipe. It went very quickly, will definitely be making this again!