The Best Classic Chicken Pot Pie Recipe – Homemade chicken pot pie with flaky pie crust and creamy chicken pot pie filling. Classic comfort food!
This chicken pot pie recipe is loaded with flavor. It’s got flaky pie crust and a buttery creamy chicken pot pie filling with chicken breast, a mix of fresh and frozen vegetables, and a mix of dried and fresh herbs.
I initially wanted to make an easy chicken pot pie. So, I started out using refrigerated pie dough, all frozen vegetables, and all dried herbs. That was easy, but it really needed some bright fresh flavors.
So, instead of making the easiest recipe, I decided to make the BEST chicken pot pie recipe.
Using fresh vegetables and some fresh herbs in the filling gives this pot pie so much flavor that it’s ok to take a short-cut with the crust and use a pre-made refrigerated pie crust.
Of course, if you have the time to make your own homemade pie crust, that would be amazing too.
How to make chicken pot pie:
- Melt butter in a large skillet.
- Add chicken, carrots, celery, and onion.
- Add salt, garlic powder, dried thyme, and pepper.
- Cook for 8-10 minutes.
- Stir in flour.
- Stir in cream until smooth.
- Stir in chicken broth until smooth.
- Cook until bubbling and thick.
- Add peas and parsley to the filling.
- Fit the bottom pie crust into a pie plate.
- Spoon the creamy filling into the bottom crust.
- Place the top crust over the filling.
- Seal the edges of the crust and cut slits in the top crust.
- Place the pie on a baking sheet (I line mine with aluminum foil in case the filling bubbles over).
- Cool before slicing.
Looking for more great comfort food recipes? Try these:
- Girl Scout Cookie Samoas Dip from Bitchin Brunch
- My Crock Pot Beef Stroganoff
- My Best Meatloaf Recipe
- My Cabbage Roll Soup
- Cheesy Chicken and Rice from A Mindfull Mom
- Easy Creamy Herb Chicken from Cafe Delites
Watch the step by step video for the Best Chicken Pot Pie Recipe below.
The Best Classic Chicken Pot Pie Recipe
Watch The Recipe Video Here
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 lb. boneless skinless chicken breast -cut into small bite size pieces
- 1 cup sliced carrots
- 1/2 cup sliced celery
- 1/2 cup chopped yellow onion
- 1 1/4 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme leaves
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1/2 cup frozen peas
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 2 (1 top and 1 bottom) unbaked pie crusts (could use pre-made refrigerated - 1 box)
- Make sure there is an oven rack on the bottom rack of the oven. Preheat oven to 425 degrees F.
- Add the butter to a large skillet over medium heat. Once the butter is melted, add the chicken, carrots, celery, onion, salt, garlic powder, thyme leaves, and pepper. Cook for 8-10 minutes, until the chicken is cooked through, stirring often.
- Add the flour. Stir well, until no dry flour remains. Slowly stir in the cream, then the chicken broth. Cook until bubbling and thick, stirring often, 3-4 minutes.
- Remove from the heat. Stir in the peas and flat leaf parsley. Let this cool for 15-30 minutes before filling the pie.*
- Fit one pie crust into a 9-inch pie plate. Spoon the cooled filling into the pie crust. Top with the second pie crust. Seal the edges of the pie crust together. Cut 3-4 slits in the top crust to allow steam to escape.
- Place the filled pie plate on a baking sheet. Bake for 30 minutes on the bottom rack of the oven.
- Cool for 15-30 minutes before slicing and serving.**
Check out all of my great chicken recipes.