The Best Pancake Recipe – This tasty pancake recipe is easy and has a secret ingredient that gives them the perfect fluffy pancake consistency.
My whole family loves this pancake recipe. This has become my go-to when we want pancakes for breakfast on the weekends.
What’s the secret ingredient that makes these pancakes the best? Sour cream. It may sound strange but it really works!
These sour cream pancakes have a butter crisp outside and the inside is so soft it’s almost creamy. To balance the flavor of the sour cream, I added more sugar. So these are actually sweeter pancakes than most. So good!
The pancake batter is made in one bowl, making this pancake recipe easy!
How to make pancakes:
- In a large bowl, add milk and sour cream.
- Add sugar, eggs, and vanilla.
- Whisk together.
- Add flour, baking powder, and salt.
- Stir until just combined (this batter will be VERY lumpy).
- Melt butter in a skillet over medium-low heat.
- Pour pancake batter into the skillet (about 1/4 cup for each pancake).
- Cook 3-4 minutes (bubbles will form on the top of the pancakes).
- Flip and cook 1-2 minutes.
Top with maple syrup, fresh fruit, fruit syrup, nuts, chocolate chips, etc.
Looking for more great breakfast recipes? Try these:
- My Apple Cinnamon Baked Oatmeal Muffins
- My Tropical Banana Bread
- Monkey Bread Recipe from The Self Proclaimed Foodie
- Buttermilk Blueberry Breakfast Bake by Alexandra’s Kitchen
Watch the step by step video for The Best Pancake Recipe below:
- 1 cup milk
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Butter for greasing the pan -about 3 tablespoons
- Maple syrup for serving
- In a large bowl, add the milk, sour cream, sugar, eggs, and vanilla. Whisk until combined. It’s ok to have small lumps of sour cream.
- Add the flour, baking powder, and salt. Stir just until no large clumps of dry flour remain, trying not to over mix. The batter should be very lumpy.
- Melt about 1/2 tablespoon of butter in a large non-stick skillet over medium-low heat until lightly bubbling and light brown.
Ladle the batter into the skillet making 3-4 pancakes (about 1/4 cup of batter each). Cook 3-4 minutes, until bubbles form on top of each pancake and the bottoms are golden brown.
- Flip the pancakes. Cook 1-2 minutes, until the bottoms are golden brown.
- Carefully wipe out any excess browned butter with paper towels. Repeat with the remaining butter and pancake batter.
- Serve warm with maple syrup.
Nutrition information does not include butter for cooking or toppings.