Eggplant Involtini – Roasted sliced eggplant rolled around a ricotta filling with lemon honey and breadcrumbs and baked in pasta sauce.
Involtini is an Italian dish that consists of a filling (often cheese) that is rolled up in some type of outer layer (beef, chicken, vegetables, etc.).
This eggplant involtini recipe has a filling of ricotta, breadcrumbs, lemon, and honey. The outer layer is roasted eggplant slices. The involtini gets nestled in a bed of marinara sauce and baked.
The eggplant is tender, and the filling is creamy and flavorful.
How To Make Eggplant Involtini
*Note: The full printable recipe card is at the bottom of this post.
- Slice 2 eggplants in 1/4 inch slices.
- Lay the eggplant slices in a single layer on a baking sheet.
- Spray the tops of the eggplant with cooking spray and sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Roast the eggplant on both sides for 10 minutes.
- Add ricotta cheese to a mixing bowl.
- Add Italian seasoned breadcrumbs, salt, pepper, honey, lemon zest, and lemon juice
- Mix until well combined.
- Place 2 tablespoons of the ricotta mixture on the wide end of the eggplant.
- Roll the eggplant around the ricotta mixture, ending with the seam underneath.
- Add marinara sauce into the bottom of a baking dish.
- Nestle the rolled eggplant into the marinara sauce.
- Bake for 25 minutes.
- Spoon a little bit of the marinara sauce over each involtini
- Top with parmesan cheese.
Try These Other Great Eggplant Recipes
Watch The Step By Step Recipe Video For Eggplant Involtini Below
Eggplant Involtini Recipe
- 2 medium eggplants
- ¼ - ½ tsp. salt
- ¼ - ½ tsp. ground black pepper
- ½ cup Italian seasoned bread crumbs
- ¾ cup part-skim ricotta cheese
- ½ tsp. salt
- ¼ tsp. ground black pepper
- 1 tsp. lemon zest
- 2 tsp. lemon juice
- 1 tbsp. honey
- 2 cups prepared marinara, or any traditional pasta sauce
- Optional: grated parmesan for topping
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Trim the stems off of the eggplants. Slice the eggplants lengthwise into ¼ inch slices. There should be about 12 slices.
- Line a cookie sheet with foil and spray it evenly with cooking spray. Lay the eggplant slices in an even layer on the cookie sheet. Spray the tops of the eggplants evenly with cooking spray. Sprinkle the tops of the eggplant slices evenly with salt and pepper (about ¼ to ½ tsp. of each). Place the cookie sheet in the oven to roast the eggplant. Cook 10 minutes. Flip the eggplant slices over and return to the oven to cook for 10 more minutes.
- In the meantime, prepare the filling. In a small bowl, add the breadcrumbs, ricotta, ½ tsp. salt, ¼ tsp. pepper, lemon zest, lemon juice, and honey. Stir until well combined (I used a fork to mash it together).
- Once the eggplant is cool enough to handle, place about 2 tbsp. of the ricotta filling on the wide edge of the eggplant slices. Roll the eggplant around the ricotta filling, ending with the seam side underneath.
- Add the marinara sauce to the bottom of a baking dish. Nestle the rolled eggplant down into the marinara sauce (again seam side down).
- Bake in the 400 degree oven for 25 minutes. Serve warm with some of the marinara sauce spooned on top of each involtini. Garnish with optional parmesan cheese.