Zucchini Mushroom Pasta Sauce is a flavorful spaghetti sauce full of fresh zucchini and mushrooms.
Got zucchini? Seems like everybody’s trying to figure out what to do with their abundance of summer zucchini right now. This recipe is great because you can use your fresh zucchini in this pasta sauce and freeze it for later.
You could even put the sauce in mason jars and give it away as gifts. 🙂
This chunky sauce is perfect on spaghetti. Or, you could substitute it in any recipe that calls for pasta sauce, like lasagna.
- 2 tbsp. olive oil
- 4 cups chopped zucchini (about 3 medium zucchini)
- 2 cups sliced white mushrooms (about 6 oz.)
- 1 cup chopped yellow onion (about 1 small onion)
- 3 garlic cloves minced
- 1 (28 oz.) can crushed tomatoes
- 1 (15 oz.) can tomato sauce
- 1 (6 oz.) can tomato paste
- 1/4 cup water
- 2 tbsp. sugar
- 1 tbsp. dried basil leaves
- 2 tsp. dried oregano leaves
- 1 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/2 tsp. ground black pepper
- Add the olive oil to a 12 inch, high-sided skillet* and place over medium-high heat for 2 minutes. Add the zucchini, mushrooms, and onion. Cook for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add the garlic. Cook one minute, stirring often.
- Add the crushed tomatoes, tomato sauce, tomato paste, water, sugar, basil, oregano, salt, and pepper. Stir to combine.
- Reduce the heat to low. Cover and simmer for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.
Recipe VideoWatch these videos for Easy Dinner recipes:
*A dutch oven or stock pot could also be used. The wider the better to keep the cooking time the same.