This tater tot casserole recipe is the best! And, it’s so easy to make.
This is a family-friendly comfort-food meal, loaded with ground beef, mixed vegetables, creamy soup, cheese, and tater tots.
Tater tot casserole, or tater tot hotdish, depending on where you’re from, is a midwest staple. It has many variations from state to state, and even from family to family.
Many versions of this recipe call for making layers of beef, veggies, soup/sauce, cheese, and tots. I like to make it easier by combining the beef, veggies, and soup together as the beef cooks.
I do like to layer shredded cheddar cheese on top of the beef mixture. I find this helps keep the tater tots crispy.
How To Make Tater Tot Casserole
Note: This is a summary. The full printable recipe card is at the bottom of this post.
- Add ground beef to a skillet. Break it apart.
- Cook until the beef is browned.
- Add frozen mixed vegetables, salt, pepper, and garlic powder.
- Add cream of mushroom soup and cheddar cheese soup.
- Stir together.
- Transfer the beef, veggie, and soup mixture to a baking dish.
- Spread out the beef mixture.
- Sprinkle the beef evenly with shredded cheddar cheese.
- Top evenly with a layer of tater tots.
I like these extra crispy tater tots because of the extra crunch. The 28 ounce bag is a good size for this recipe, so there won’t be very many tots left over. But, any brand will work.
How To Make Ahead
If serving within three days, layer your baking dish with the cooked beef and veggie mixture and the shredded cheese. Store it covered in the refrigerator. On the day you want to serve it, take it out of the refrigerator for 20 minutes. Add the frozen tater tots. Then, bake as directed. It may need an additional 5-10 minutes.
If freezing for later, assemble the entire casserole. Store it covered in the freezer for up to three months. Transfer the dish to the refrigerator the day before you want to serve it. Take the dish out of the refrigerator for 20 minutes. Bake as directed. It may need an additional 5-10 minutes.
How To Reheat Leftovers
I don’t recommend microwaving leftovers because the tater tots will get soggy. Reheat by placing leftovers in an oven safe dish. Heat in a 350°F oven for 20-25 minutes until warmed through. If the tater tots start to look too brown, cover the dish with aluminum foil.
More Easy Comfort Food Recipes
Find more of my recipes on TikTok
Easy Tater Tot Casserole Recipe
- 1 pound 90% lean ground beef
- 1 1/2 cups frozen mixed vegetables
- 1/2 teaspoon salt divided
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper divided
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder divided
- 10.5 oz. can cream of mushroom soup
- 10.5 oz. can cheddar cheese soup
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 28 oz. bag frozen tater tots
- Preheat oven to 375°F. Spray a 9×13” baking dish with cooking spray.
- Place a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the ground beef. Break the beef apart with a wooden spoon. Cook until the beef is browned, about 6 minutes.* Add the frozen mixed vegetables, ¼ teaspoon salt, ¼ teaspoon pepper, and ¼ teaspoon garlic powder. Stir well.
- Add the mushroom soup and cheddar soup to the beef. Stir until the soup is well incorporated.
- Transfer the beef mixture to the baking dish. Spread the beef out into an even layer.
- Sprinkle the shredded cheese evenly over the beef.
- Top with an even layer of tater tots.
- Sprinkle the tater tots with the remaining ¼ teaspoon salt, ¼ teaspoon pepper, and ¼ teaspoon garlic powder.
- Bake for 35 minutes, until the tater tots are golden and crispy and the filling is bubbling.
This is similar to a dish my mom made growing up! A delicious comfort meal my kids LOVE!