Easy Mushroom Pasta comes together in minutes. Spaghetti is coated in a simple sauce made from seasoned sautéed mushrooms and parmesan cheese.
This pasta is so easy and versatile. Sometimes I make it as a main dish and sometimes I make it as a side dish. Try it with my Baked Parmesan Crusted Chicken.
How To Make Easy Mushroom Pasta
Note: This is a summary. The full printable recipe card is at the bottom of this post.
- Boil some spaghetti.
- As the pasta cooks, make the mushroom sauce.
- Add butter and olive oil to a skillet.
- Add sliced mushrooms. Cook.
- Add chopped onions. Cook.
- Add minced garlic, salt, pepper, and dried thyme. Cook.
- Reserve 1 cup of the starchy cooking water from the pasta.
- Add some of the water to the skillet.
- Scrape up any brown bits off the bottom of the skillet.
- Drain the water from the pasta.
- Combine the cooked pasta, mushroom sauce, and parmesan cheese.
Reserved Pasta Water
If the pasta seems a little dry, add more of the starchy cooking liquid to loosen up the sauce.
The starchy pasta water is what makes the sauce come together. It thickens up as it combines with the butter and cheese to create a silky sauce that is full of flavor.
Can This Be Made Ahead
This dish is definitely best when it is fresh. And, it only takes about 15 minutes to prepare, so I typically wouldn’t make it before I want to serve it. But, you could save a little time by chopping and slicing the veggies ahead of time.
More Easy Pasta Recipes
Find more of my recipes on TikTok
Easy Mushroom Pasta Recipe
- 8 ounces Spaghetti
- 4 Tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil
- 16 ounces white mushrooms sliced
- 1/2 cup chopped white onion
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme leaves
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- Cook the pasta according to its package directions. Before draining the pasta, reserve one cup of the starchy cooking water.
- As the pasta cooks, make the mushroom sauce. Place a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the butter and olive oil. Once the butter is melted, add the mushrooms. Cook for five minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add the onions to the skillet. Cook for five minutes, stirring occasionally, until the onions are soft and the mushrooms are dark.
- Add the garlic, salt, time, and pepper. Cook for two minutes, stirring often.
- Remove the skillet from the heat. Slowly and carefully add ¼ cup of the reserved water. Stir and scrape up any brown bits from the bottom of the skillet.
- Add the mushrooms and the Parmesan cheese to the cooked and drained pasta. Stir well.
- If the pasta looks a little dry, add more cooking water.
I love your easy mushroom pasta, simple and family-friendly recipe, thanks!
This pasta is wonderful! It’s simple and just so full of flavor and satisfying!
This looks great. I will make it tonight for my wife. I’ve made your Taco recipe so many times that I have it memorized. Thank you for sharing your talents! Chip
This looks delicious, thank you–I can’t wait to make it this week. As a single guy who’s not always comfortable in the kitchen, your recipes make me feel like a cook!