I love the flavor combination of lemons and blueberries. I’m also a big fan of crumb-topped muffins. So naturally, I think these blueberry lemon crumb muffins are fantastic! Sweet, lemony muffin batter is packed with tons of whole blueberries and crumb-topped.
This recipe calls for frozen blueberries, so you can make these muffins any time of year. Even if fresh blueberries aren’t in season. Oh, and speaking of blueberries, these muffins are packed full of them (2 full cups).
To make blueberry lemon crumb muffins, start by making the crumb topping. Combine melted butter with flour and brown sugar. As you can see, this mixture will be kind of smooth at first. But, while you are preparing the muffin batter, this crumb mixture will cool. Then, you can just poke at it with a fork and it will crumble into small chunks.
Work on the wet ingredients next. Mix sugar, unsweetened apple sauce, and canola oil together until well combined. I whisked this together for about one minute.
Beat in two eggs until well combined. Then, mix in milk, lemon zest, lemon juice, and vanilla extract.
Now prepare the dry ingredients. Stir together flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Then, add two cups of frozen blueberries. Gently stir to coat the blueberries in the flour mixture.
Add all of the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients. Stir together until the flour is moistened. It’s ok if there is just a little bit of dry flour clinging to a few of the blueberries. Don’t over mix. That would cause the muffins to be tough.
Pour the muffin batter into a muffin tin with muffin liners. Fill each cup about 3/4 of the way up. Crumble the crumb topping with a fork and sprinkle it on top of the muffins. Bake in a 350 degree oven for about 23 minutes.
Let the muffins cool. I know, this is the hard part.
It would be ok to eat them when they are still slightly warm. But, be careful! Remember that these muffins are packed with whole blueberries. And those whole berries will hold heat for a long time. I would try to let them cool for at least 20 minutes before attempting to bite into them. It’s worth the wait!
Aren’t these pretty?! I just love them.
Recipe adapted from Raspberry Lemonade Crumb Muffins from Iowa Girl Eats.
Blueberry Lemon Crumb Muffins Recipe
- 1/4 cup flour, plus 1 1/2 cups
- 2 tbsp. butter, melted
- 2 tbsp. brown sugar
- 1/4 canola or vegetable oil
- 1/4 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1/3 cup milk (I use skim)
- 1 tbsp. lemon zest (about 2 lemons worth)
- 1 tbsp. lemon juice
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 2 cups frozen blueberries
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line a muffin tin with muffin liners and set aside.
- Prepare the crumb topping. In a small bowl, combine ¼ cup flour with the melted butter and brown sugar. Set aside. *Note – this mixture will be smooth at first. Once it has cooled, you can poke and fluff it with a fork to make it crumbly.
- Prepare the wet ingredients. In a large bowl, beat the oil, applesauce, and sugar until well combined (about 1 minute). Beat in the eggs. Then, add the milk, lemon zest, lemon juice, and vanilla. Beat to combine.
- Prepare the dry ingredients. In a medium bowl, add 1½ cups of flour, the baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Stir to combine. Add the frozen blueberries. Stir gently to coat the blueberries in flour.
- Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients. Stir just until the flour is moistened. Do not over mix (batter should be lumpy).
- Fill the muffin cups ¾ of the way up with batter. Crumble the topping by poking with a fork. Sprinkle the crumb topping on the muffins. Bake for 22-24 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. Cool completely in muffin tin.
|Serving Size||1 muffin|
|Amount Per Serving||As Served|
|Calories 171 Calories from fat|
|% Daily Value|
|Total Fat 5.7||9%|
|Saturated Fat 1.4||7%|
|Dietary Fiber 0.8||3%|
Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs:
|Total Fat||Less than||65g|
|Sat Fat||Less than||25g|