A couple of months ago I noticed a one pot wonder tomato basil pasta recipe all over Pinterest. I tried it and liked it. I think it’s interesting that you can simmer uncooked pasta, with some broth and veggies, and it will create an almost creamy sauce. I decided to play around with this concept and I made a one pot wonder version of chicken lo mein.
I guess it isn’t technically lo mein since I used linguini instead of traditional lo mein noodles, which contain egg. But, it’s close. I like using pasta in this because you can use whole wheat pasta. Also, all of the ingredients in this dish are things that many people keep on hand in their pantry or refrigerator.
You simply throw all of the ingredients into a large stock pot, including the liquid.
Cover it and bring to a boil. Then, stir and reduce to a simmer. Cook covered for about 15 minutes, stirring occasionally. Cook until most of the liquid is gone and the chicken is cooked through. This is what it looks like when it is done.
You could change this up by adding just about any vegetables that you like. Also, this could easily be made into a vegetarian dish by using vegetable broth and leaving out the chicken.
Watch this short YouTube video to see exactly how to make One Pot Wonder Chicken Lo Mein from start to finish!
One Pot Wonder Chicken Lo Mein Recipe
- 1/2 lb. boneless skinless chicken breast, cut into small chunks
- 1 – 13.25 to 16 oz. box of linguini or fettuccini pasta, broken in half (I used whole wheat)
- 4 medium carrots, peeled and cut in thin 3 inch long strips
- 1 medium red bell pepper, cut in thin 3 inch long strips
- 1 bunch green onions, white part sliced and green part cut in 3 inch long strips
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon corn starch
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 4 cups chicken or vegetable broth
- 2 teaspoons extra virgin olive oil
- Add the chicken, then the pasta, then the remaining ingredients to a large stockpot and cover. Bring to a rolling boil over high heat. Stir and reduce the heat to medium-low.
- Cook covered for about 15 minutes, stirring occasionally. Cook until most of the liquid is gone and the chicken is cooked through.
- Remove the lid and let the dish rest for 5 minutes before serving.
|Amount Per Serving||As Served|
|Calories 332 Calories from fat 0|
|% Daily Value|
|Total Fat 4.7||7%|
|Saturated Fat 0.3||2%|
|Dietary Fiber 7.2||29%|
Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs:
|Total Fat||Less than||65g|
|Sat Fat||Less than||25g|
Recipe adapted from one pot wonder tomato basil pasta