One pot pasta with broccoli is a twist on classic pasta con broccoli from The Pasta House, using the simple one pot wonder technique. This easy dinner recipe is ready in minutes and simple to clean up!
My One Pot Wonder Chicken Lo Mein was such a huge hit that I thought I should come up more one pot wonder recipes. This recipe for One Pot Wonder Pasta Con Broccoli is a twist on classic pasta con broccoli from The Pasta House. The original recipe had apparently been published in the St. Louis Post Dispatch some time ago. I adapted the original recipe to reduce the saturated fat and utilize the simple one pot wonder technique.
To make this dish, add most of the ingredients (pasta, broccoli, garlic, olive oil, tomato sauce, milk, broth, salt, and pepper) into one large pot and bring to a boil. Then simmer for 10 to 15 minutes, covered, stirring occasionally. Remove the pot from the heat and add the final two ingredients (mushrooms and parmesan cheese).
It’s that quick and easy! As the pasta cooks, it creates a creamy sauce so you don’t miss the actual cream that was in the original recipe.
I have made this dish with whole wheat pasta and with regular pasta. Unfortunately, I didn’t think the whole wheat pasta worked well in this dish. It was a little overpowering. In general, I try to use whole wheat products whenever I can because they add fiber, vitamins, and minerals. So, if you know that you like the taste of whole wheat pasta and want to try it in this dish, then you should try it. That would be the healthier option.
I have also made this dish using mushrooms that I thinly sliced myself and using store-bought pre-sliced mushrooms. I found that the store-bought mushrooms are not sliced thin enough. When the mushrooms are sliced thin, the heat from the pasta softens them nicely. When they are thick-sliced, they are a little bit firm and raw tasting. I recommend taking the time to thinly slice the mushrooms, unless you can find very thinly sliced pre-packaged mushrooms at your grocery store.
One Pot Wonder Pasta Con Broccoli Recipe
- 1 (14 -16 oz.) box campanelle pasta -or whatever pasta you like
- 3 cups broccoli florets
- 2 tbsp. olive oil
- 3/4 tsp. salt
- 1/4 tsp. ground black pepper
- 2 garlic cloves -minced
- 1 (8 oz.) can tomato sauce
- 3 cups 2% milk -or your preferred milk/milk alternative
- 1 cup chicken broth -or vegetable broth
- 1 cup mushrooms -thinly sliced
- 3/4 cup grated parmesan cheese
- Add the pasta, broccoli, olive oil, salt, pepper, garlic, tomato sauce, milk, and broth to a large pot. Cover and bring to a full, rolling boil. Stir and reduce the heat to medium low. Simmer covered for 10-15 minutes, stirring occasionally. Cook until there is 1/2 to1 inch of liquid left in the bottom of the pot. *NOTE: Keep an eye on the pot in the beginning of the cooking process because milk tends to boil over easily.
- Remove the pasta from the heat and stir in the mushrooms and the parmesan. Let the pasta rest for 3-5 minutes before serving. The remaining liquid will absorb into the pasta and the mushrooms will soften.
Recipe adapted from Pasta House Pasta Con Broccoli.