One pot pasta with broccoli is a twist on classic pasta con broccoli from The Pasta House, using the simple one pot wonder technique. This easy dinner recipe is ready in minutes and simple to clean up!
Pasta With Broccoli
This recipe for One Pot Wonder Pasta Con Broccoli is a twist on classic pasta con broccoli from The Pasta House. The original recipe had apparently been published in the St. Louis Post Dispatch some time ago. I adapted the original recipe to utilize the simple one pot wonder technique.
How To Make Pasta Con Broccoli in 1 Pot
*Note: The full printable recipe card is at the bottom of this post.
- Add fresh cut broccoli florets and uncooked pasta to a large pot.
- Add garlic, olive oil, tomato sauce, milk, broth, salt, and pepper.
- Stir well.
- Bring the liquid to a boil.
- Reduce it to a simmer and cover the pot.
- Cook for 10-15 minutes.
- Stir in thinly sliced mushrooms and grated parmesan cheese.
- Let the pasta rest for 5 minutes before serving.
It’s that quick and easy! As the pasta cooks, it creates a creamy sauce so you don’t miss the actual cream that was in the original recipe. By letting the pasta rest after cooking, the pasta will absorb the remaining liquids in the pot and the mushrooms will soften.
I’ve made this dish with whole wheat pasta and with regular pasta. Unfortunately, I didn’t think the whole wheat pasta worked well in this dish. It was a little overpowering. But, if you know that you like the taste of whole wheat pasta, then you should go for it.
Check Out These Other Great 1 Pot Pasta Recipes
Watch the step by step recipe video for One Pot Pasta Con Broccoli below.
One Pot Wonder Pasta Con Broccoli Recipe
- 1 (14 -16 oz.) box campanelle pasta -or whatever pasta you like
- 3 cups broccoli florets
- 2 tbsp. olive oil
- 3/4 tsp. salt
- 1/4 tsp. ground black pepper
- 2 garlic cloves -minced
- 1 (8 oz.) can tomato sauce
- 3 cups 2% milk -or your preferred milk/milk alternative
- 1 cup chicken broth -or vegetable broth
- 1 cup mushrooms -very thinly sliced
- 3/4 cup grated parmesan cheese
- Add the pasta, broccoli, olive oil, salt, pepper, garlic, tomato sauce, milk, and broth to a large pot. Cover and bring to a full, rolling boil. Stir and reduce the heat to medium low. Simmer covered for 10-15 minutes, stirring occasionally. Cook until there is 1/2 to1 inch of liquid left in the bottom of the pot. *NOTE: Keep an eye on the pot in the beginning of the cooking process because milk tends to boil over easily.
- Remove the pasta from the heat and stir in the mushrooms and the parmesan. Let the pasta rest for 3-5 minutes before serving. The remaining liquid will absorb into the pasta and the mushrooms will soften.
Recipe adapted from Pasta House Pasta Con Broccoli.