Fettuccini pasta is coated in a thick and creamy garlic parmesan sauce. This is a lightened up version of a classic comfort food that all comes together in one pot in under 15 minutes.
One pot wonder fettuccini alfredo is a dish that can be made in under 15 minutes. And, it’s lower in fat and calories than traditional fettuccini alfredo.
One cup of this lightened up dish has 417 calories and 11.2 total grams of fat. The nutrition information for traditional fettuccini alfredo recipes vary. Olive garden’s contains 1090 calories and 68 grams of fat per serving. The serving size is not specified, although I imagine it’s more than one cup.
In this recipe, fettuccini is cooked in a seasoned milk and broth mixture. As the pasta cooks, it releases some of it’s starch into the cooking liquid. The end result is a thickened creamy sauce that doesn’t actually contain any cream.
I used whole milk in this recipe, but reduced fat milk could also be used to lighten it up even more.
When it comes to one pot cooking, the wider the pot or skillet the better. If you use a wide pot, all of the pasta is submerged in the cooking liquid throughout the entire cooking process. This allows the pasta to cook evenly and reduces the overall cooking time. I use an 11 inch wide, high-sided skillet for one pot pasta dishes and it works perfectly.
One Pot Wonder Fettuccini Alfredo
- 1 1/2 cups chicken broth (or vegetable broth)
- 1 1/2 cups whole milk
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tsp. olive oil
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 1/4 tsp. ground black pepper
- 1/4 tsp. ground nutmeg
- 8 oz. uncooked dried fettuccini pasta (half of a 1 pound box)
- 1/3 cup grated parmesan cheese
- Add the broth, milk, garlic, oil, salt, pepper, and nutmeg to a 10-12 inch wide high-sided skillet (or pot). Place over medium-high heat just until the liquid begins to simmer.
- Break the pasta in half. Add the pasta to the skillet and stir well. Return the liquid to a simmer. Reduce the heat to medium-low.
- Cook 9-13 minutes, stirring often to prevent sticking. Cook until the pasta is tender.
- Remove the pot from the heat. Stir in the parmesan cheese. Serve immediately.
|Serving Size||1 cup|
|Amount Per Serving||As Served|
|Calories 417 Calories from fat|
|% Daily Value|
|Total Fat 11.2||17%|
|Saturated Fat 4.3||22%|
|Dietary Fiber 2.8||11%|
Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs:
|Total Fat||Less than||65g|
|Sat Fat||Less than||25g|