I absolutely love guacamole! On it’s own, guacamole is really healthy when eaten in moderation. The problem is, it’s often eaten in massive quantities with a big pile of deep fried tortilla chips.
I decided to ditch the chips and use guacamole to make this healthy entrée, guacamole stuffed chicken breast.
Chicken breasts are pounded thin and flat. A thin layer of guacamole gets spread onto each piece. The chicken is rolled up and secured with toothpicks. Then, the stuffed chicken is coated in a flavorful panko breadcrumb mixture; and baked.
The result is a tender, juicy piece of chicken with a crispy outside and a creamy guacamole filled center. Yum!
Admittedly, it does take a while to prepare this chicken. None of the steps are difficult, just a little time consuming. Personally, I think it’s totally worth it.
Guacamole Stuffed Chicken Breast Recipe
- 4 small boneless, skinless chicken breasts (1 1/4 – 1 1/2 lb. total weight)
- 1 ripe avocado
- 2 tbsp. diced red onion
- 1/4 cup chopped tomato
- 1 tsp. lime juice
- 3/4 tsp. salt, divided
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup plain panko breadcrumbs
- 2 tsp. lime zest
- 1/2 tsp. garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp. chili powder
- 1/4 tsp. ground cumin
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 1/4 tsp. ground black pepper
- Cooking spray
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Use a mallet to pound each chicken breast thin and flat. Set aside.
- Remove the peel and seed from the avocado. Place the avocado in a medium bowl and mash with a fork. Add the onion, tomato, lime juice, and ½ teaspoon salt. Stir to combine.
- Divide the guacamole between the chicken pieces and spread it into a thin layer. Roll up the chicken, starting with the skinniest edge (the part that comes to a point). Secure the seam with toothpicks.
- In a shallow bowl, whisk the eggs.
- In a separate shallow bowl, add the breadcrumbs, lime zest, garlic powder, chili powder, cumin, ¼ teaspoon salt, and the pepper. Stir to combine.
- Roll the stuffed chicken in the eggs. Let the excess egg drip off. Press and roll the chicken in the breadcrumbs. Shake off the excess breadcrumbs. Place the chicken seam-side down in a baking dish that has been sprayed with cooking spray. Discard the remaining egg and breadcrumbs.
- Bake for 30 minutes, or until the chicken is cooked through and it’s coating is golden brown and crispy.
|Serving Size||1 stuffed chicken breast|
|Amount Per Serving||As Served|
|Calories 331 Calories from fat|
|% Daily Value|
|Total Fat 11.9||18%|
|Saturated Fat 3.1||16%|
|Dietary Fiber 3.3||13%|
Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs:
|Total Fat||Less than||65g|
|Sat Fat||Less than||25g|