So simple. Yet, so delicious! Chicken Pesto Pasta is chicken and penne in a basil pesto sauce.
This is one of those recipes that’s great for a busy weeknight. You only need a handful of ingredients to make it. It’s ready in under 20 minutes. And, it’s so, so good!
Just sauté some chunks of chicken breast with a little seasoning. Add prepared basil pesto and cooked pasta. And, that’s it. You’re done!
Pesto is full of flavor. Prepared pesto mainly consists of basil, olive oil, pine nuts, and parmesan cheese. Which means, pesto is pretty high in calories and fat.
To lighten up this dish, cut back on the pesto and add some of the starchy pasta cooking water.
Chicken Pesto Pasta
- 8 oz. (half a 1 pound box) penne rigate pasta
- 1 tbsp. olive oil
- 1 lb. boneless skinless chicken breast, cut into bite size chunks
- 1 tsp. Italian seasoning
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 1/4 tsp. ground black pepper
- 3/4 cup basil pesto
- Cook the pasta according to it’s package directions. Before draining the pasta, reserve ¼ cup of the starchy cooking liquid.
- As the pasta cooks, heat the oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat for 2 minutes. Add the chicken, Italian seasoning, salt, and pepper. Stir well to coat the chicken. Cook for 6-8 minutes, until the chicken is cooked through, stirring occasionally. Remove the skillet from the heat.
- Add the cooked and drained pasta and the pesto to the skillet with the chicken. Stir well.
- To loosen up the sauce, add some of the reserved starchy cooking liquid, if needed.
|Serving Size||1½ cups|
|Amount Per Serving||As Served|
|Calories 560 Calories from fat|
|% Daily Value|
|Total Fat 25.8||40%|
|Saturated Fat 5||25%|
|Dietary Fiber 2.8||11%|
Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs:
|Total Fat||Less than||65g|
|Sat Fat||Less than||25g|