Chicken Parmesan Sloppy Joes are a quick and easy dinner made with a few common ingredients. Ground chicken gets mixed with pasta sauce and cheese then served on buns.
I think ground chicken is under utilized. It cooks up so quickly and easily. It can easily be swapped in for any recipe that calls for ground beef. And, if you choose the ground chicken breast, it’s low in fat.
How To Make Chicken Parmesan Sloppy Joes
Note: This is a summary. The full printable recipe card is at the bottom of this post.
- Heat some oil in a skillet.
- Sauté some chopped onions.
- Add ground chicken.
- Break it apart with a wooden spoon.
- Add salt and pepper.
- Cook until the chicken is no longer pink.
- Add pasta sauce.
- Let the chicken simmer in the pasta sauce.
- Stir in some grated parmesan cheese.
- Serve on hamburger buns topped with mozzarella cheese.
Can This Be Made Ahead Of Time
Yes. This recipe is fast and easy so it’s perfect for a busy weeknight meal. But, it can be made ahead of time. Prepare the meat mixture. Let it cool for 30-60 minutes. Then transfer it to a sealable container. Store it in the refrigerator for up to 4 days.
To reheat, warm it up in a skillet over low heat, or warm it in the microwave.
Can This Be Frozen
Yes. Sloppy Joes are a great freezer meal because they don’t have any texture changes after being frozen. Store the meat mixture in a sealable freezer-safe container for up to 3 months. Transfer it to the refrigerator to thaw the day before you want to reheat it.
More Sloppy Joes Recipes
Find more of my recipes on TikTok
Chicken Parmesan Sloppy Joes Recipe
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 cup diced yellow onion
- 1 lb. ground chicken I used ground chicken breast
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 1/2 cups pasta sauce
- 1/4 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 6 hamburger buns
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- Add the oil to a large skillet and place it over medium-high heat.
- Add the onion. Stir. Cook for 5 minutes.
- Add the chicken. Break it apart with a wooden spoon. Add the salt and pepper. Cook, stirring occasionally, for 6-8 minutes, until the chicken is no longer pink.
- Add the pasta sauce. Stir until well mixed. Reduce the heat so the sauce is gently simmering. Simmer for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Serve the chicken spooned on hamburger buns and topped with mozzarella cheese.