BBQ Chicken Sloppy Joes are sautéed veggies and ground chicken coated in sweet and tangy BBQ sauce.
How To Make BBQ Chicken Sloppy Joes
*Note: The full printable recipe card is at the bottom of this post.
- Sauté diced onion and chopped sweet bell pepper until they are soft.
- Add ground chicken and cook through.
- Stir in some tomato sauce and barbecue sauce.
- Let it simmer until the sauce thickens up.
- Then, serve the meat on hamburger buns.
You can adjust the flavor by using different types of BBQ sauce in this recipe. I used Sweet Baby Rays because I like my BBQ sauce to be sweet and tangy. But, you could use spicy BBQ sauce, mustard based sauce, Kansas-style, etc.
More Easy Chicken Recipes
Find more of my recipes on TikTok
BBQ Chicken Sloppy Joes
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 small yellow onion diced
- 1 green bell pepper chopped
- 1 lb. ground chicken
- 3/4 cup BBQ sauce
- 1/2 cup tomato sauce
- 6 hamburger buns
- Add the oil, onion, and bell pepper to a large skillet and place it over medium-high heat. Cook 5 minutes, stirring occasionally
- Add the chicken to the skillet. Break the chicken apart with a wooden spoon. Cook, stirring occasionally, for 7-8 minutes, until the chicken is cooked through (165 degrees F).
- Add the BBQ sauce and tomato sauce to the skillet. Stir to combine. Reduce the heat (low to medium-low) to bring the sauce to a simmer. Simmer for 6-8 minutes, until the sauce thickens.
- Serve the BBQ chicken on hamburger buns.
Check out all of my great chicken recipes.
Similarly:).. 1lb. ground turkey, 1.3 oz Mccormick sloppy joe seasoning mix, 1/4 c. Dukes BBQ sweet, 1 4.4oz Ragu for one, 1 1/4 water. Simmered longer. Good.. I will thaw the ground chicken next go round. I found your site searching for ideas as my onion was rotten, so I improvised. Thanks – your now on my homepage.
Loved it so much! Very tasty and easy to follow!
This sloppy Joe recipe is so savory. My family couldn’t stop commenting on how good it was! It was very quick and easy to make.
Can’t wait to give this a try. Sloppy Joes with chicken is genius! Super fast prep too. Love it!
What a great twist on Sloppy Joes. I will have to try these.