BBQ Chicken Sloppy Joes are sautéed veggies and ground chicken coated in sweet and tangy BBQ sauce.
BBQ Chicken Sloppy Joes is an easy dinner that is ready in minutes and only needs a few ingredients.
- Just sauté diced onion and chopped sweet bell pepper until they are soft.
- Add ground chicken and cook through.
- Stir in some tomato sauce and barbecue sauce.
- Let it simmer until the sauce thickens up.
- Then, serve the meat on hamburger buns.
You can adjust the flavor by using different types of BBQ sauce in this recipe. I used Sweet Baby Rays because I like my BBQ sauce to be sweet and tangy. But, you could use spicy BBQ sauce, mustard based sauce, Kansas-style, etc.
Watch the step by step recipe video for BBQ Chicken Sloppy Joes below.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 small yellow onion diced
- 1 green bell pepper chopped
- 1 lb. ground chicken
- 3/4 cup BBQ sauce
- 1/2 cup tomato sauce
- 6 hamburger buns
- Add the oil, onion, and bell pepper to a large skillet and place it over medium-high heat. Cook 5 minutes, stirring occasionally
- Add the chicken to the skillet. Break the chicken apart with a wooden spoon. Cook, stirring occasionally, for 7-8 minutes, until the chicken is cooked through (165 degrees F).
- Add the BBQ sauce and tomato sauce to the skillet. Stir to combine. Reduce the heat (low to medium-low) to bring the sauce to a simmer. Simmer for 6-8 minutes, until the sauce thickens.
- Serve the BBQ chicken on hamburger buns.
For more Sloppy Joe recipes, check out: