In this Skillet Chicken in Caper Sweet Pepper Tomato Sauce recipe, seasoned chicken is simmered in a flavorful tomato sauce with salty capers and sweet bell peppers.
Serve this chicken and flavorful sauce over cooked rice, mashed potatoes, or cooked pasta. Or, you could even serve it with a good piece of crusty bread to mop up all that flavor.
- 4 (6 oz. each) boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1 tsp. salt, divided
- ½ tsp. ground black pepper, divided
- 2 tbsp. olive oil
- 1 medium orange bell pepper, sliced
- 1 medium yellow bell pepper, sliced
- 1 medium yellow onion, sliced
- 1 (15 oz.) can petite diced tomatoes
- 1 cup low sodium chicken broth
- 2 tsp. granulated sugar
- ½ tsp. dried thyme leaves
- ½ tsp. dried oregano leaves
- 2 tbsp. drained capers
- ¼ cup chopped, fresh, flat-leaf parsley leaves
- Optional: cooked rice, mashed potatoes, bread, or cooked pasta for serving
- Sprinkle both sides of the chicken evenly with ½ teaspoon salt and ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper.
- Add the oil to a large 12-inch skillet and place over medium-high heat for 2 minutes. Add the chicken to the skillet. Cook the chicken for 5-6 minutes on each side, until each side is golden brown. Remove the chicken from the skillet.
- Reduce the heat to medium. Add the orange pepper, yellow pepper, and onion to the skillet. Cook for 8 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add the diced tomatoes with their juice, chicken broth, sugar, ½ teaspoon of salt, ¼ teaspoon of ground black pepper, the thyme, and oregano. Stir well.
- Add the chicken to the skillet. Push the chicken down into the sauce. Bring the liquid to a boil. Then, reduce the heat to let the liquid simmer. Cook until the chicken is cooked through (165 degrees Fahrenheit) and the liquid has reduced, about 15 minutes. Flip the chicken over half way through the cooking time (after around 7 minutes) to ensure even cooking.
- Remove the skillet from the heat. Stir the capers and parsley into the sauce. Let the dish rest 5 minutes before serving.
Recipe adapted from Roman Chicken.