Mexican breakfast cups are a great make ahead meal full of eggs and Mexican flavors.
Mexican breakfast cups are a great make ahead meal that you can grab-and-go for breakfast all week. Or, these would also be a great option for feeding a crowd.
Bacon, cheese, corn, black beans, and avocado go into a muffin tin. An egg mixture that’s been kicked up with hot sauce gets poured over the Mexican blend. Then, it all gets baked for about 20 minutes. As the eggs cook, they puff up, bind everything together, and combine all the flavors. Man, these things are good!
For make ahead breakfasts (or any leftovers), remove the breakfast cups from the muffin tin and store them in a sealed container in the refrigerator. When you’re ready to reheat them, wrap the individual egg muffins in a paper towel. Place them on a microwave safe plate with the paper towel seam side down. Microwave for 10 seconds at a time. Lightly tap the top of the paper towel. When it starts to feel warm, flip the egg muffin over and microwave for another 5 to 10 seconds. In my microwave, it only takes a total of 25 seconds to reheat one of these breakfast cups.
You want to be sure not to microwave these too long because that will result in tough, rubbery eggs.
Personally, I’m into spicy foods. When I made this recipe, I only used 1 tablespoon of hot sauce. This gave the egg muffins a little bit of a kick, but I thought they could use a little more. Next time I will definitely use two tablespoons of hot sauce.
However, if you’re not a fan of spicy foods, you can omit the hot sauce. These will still be delicious without it.
Find more of my recipes on TikTok
Mexican Breakfast Cups Recipe
- 1/2 cup drained and rinsed canned black beans
- 1 ripe Hass Avocado peel and seed removed, chopped
- 1 cup frozen corn kernels
- 1/2 cup cooked bacon bits or crumbled bacon pieces
- 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 10 large eggs
- 1/4 cup skim milk or any milk
- Optional: 1 - 2 tbsp. hot sauce
- 1 tsp. salt
- ½ tsp. ground black pepper
- Optional toppings: sour cream salsa
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Spray a muffin tin with cooking spray or line with muffin liners.
- Add the black beans to a large bowl. Lightly pat the beans with a paper towel to absorb any excess moisture. Add the avocado, corn, bacon, and cheese to the bowl. Lightly stir to combine. Use a spoon to divide the corn mixture evenly in the muffin tin.
- In a large bowl, add the eggs, milk, hot sauce, salt, and pepper. Whisk until well combined. Optional: transfer the egg mixture to a large measuring cup for easy pouring.
- Pour the egg mixture over the corn mixture in the muffin tin, filling it until each cup is almost full.
- Bake for 20 minutes. Cool for at least 5 minutes before serving. Optional: Top with sour cream, and salsa.