Skinny crock pot loaded potato soup is a lightened up version of loaded potato soup that only takes about five minutes to prepare then cooks all day in a slow cooker.
It’s been cold and dreary around here for the past few days. I’m thinking a big bowl of loaded potato soup is in order to warm my spirits. I love potato soup. It’s thick, hearty, cheesy, and typically has chunks of salty bacon. What’s not to love?
Today I’m making my skinny crock pot loaded potato soup. It’s a lightened up version of loaded potato soup that only takes about five minutes to prepare.
To make this soup, whisk some cheddar cheese condensed soup, chicken broth, cream cheese, and black pepper together in a large crock pot. Stir in 2/3 of a bag of frozen cubed potatoes (A.K.A southern style potatoes). Cook, covered, on low for 8 hours, or high for 4 hours.
The potatoes break down as the soup cooks. When you stir the soup, it gets thick, smooth, and creamy. It resembles a cream-based soup. However, it doesn’t actually contain any cream. This is why you don’t want to add all the potatoes at once. Twenty to thirty minutes before serving, stir the remaining potatoes into the soup. These potatoes aren’t cooked long enough to break down, which adds texture to the final product.
To serve this soup, ladle it into bowls and top with sliced green onions and crumbled cooked bacon. To save time, I use packaged pre-cooked bacon bits, or bacon pieces.
What you end up with is an amazing soup with all the flavors of a loaded baked potato. But, with a lot less effort, and fewer calories.
Skinny Crock Pot Loaded Potato Soup Recipe
- 1 (14 oz.) can cheddar cheese soup
- 32 oz. chicken broth
- ½ tsp. ground black pepper
- 4 oz. cream cheese
- 32 oz. frozen cubed hash brown potatoes (A.K.A. southern style potatoes)
- 6 green onions thinly sliced
- 6 tbsp. bacon bits
- Add the cheddar cheese soup, chicken broth, and black pepper to a large slow cooker.
- Cut the cream cheese into small cubes and add it to the slow cooker. Whisk until the cheese soup is dissolved into the broth (there will still be chunks of cream cheese).
- Add 2/3 of the bag of frozen potatoes to the slow cooker. Stir to combine. Store the remaining 1/3 of the potatoes in the refrigerator to be added later.
- Place the cover on the slow cooker and cook on low for 8-10 hours, or high for 4-5 hours.
- Add salt and pepper to taste. Stir the remaining 1/3 of the potatoes into the soup. Cook for 20-30 more minutes, or until the potatoes have warmed through.
- Ladle the soup into bowls and top each serving with a sliced green onion and a tablespoon of bacon bits.