Carrot cake muffins have the flavors of carrot cake but in a much healthier form. They’re moist and lightly sweet from grated carrots, crushed pineapple, and applesauce.
I love carrot cake. My mom makes the absolute best carrot cake in the world! Hands down. No question. 🙂
Mom’s carrot cake is incredibly rich, and sweet, and it’s covered in cream cheese frosting. It’s got amazing flavor from spices, carrots, and fruit. The last time I had her carrot cake I thought to myself, this has such great flavor I would like it even if it weren’t so sweet and decadent. So, these carrot cake muffins were born.
This is my contribution for this month’s Recipe Redux theme, which is quick bread. That includes healthier recipes for anything from loaves, to muffins, to biscuits.
These muffins have less added sugar than most muffin recipes. But, they still have light sweetness from grated carrots, crushed pineapple, and applesauce. The fruit also helps make these muffins incredibly moist.
Just look at ’em! I love the chunks of pineapple and flecks of bright orange carrot.
Carrot Cake Muffins Recipe
Watch The Recipe Video Here
- 2-3 medium carrots
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 tsp. ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- 1/2 tsp. baking soda
- 1/8 tsp. salt
- 1 (8 oz.) can crushed pineapple in pineapple juice
- 1/2 cup light brown sugar packed
- 1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter melted
- 1 large egg beaten
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line a standard 12-cup muffin tin with muffin liners. Spray liners with cooking spray.
- Using the small grate on a box grater, grate the carrots to make 1 cup of finely grated fresh carrots. Note: I do not advise using packaged pre-shredded carrots.
- In a large bowl, add the flour, cinnamon, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Whisk to combine.
- In a medium bowl, add the pineapple, brown sugar, applesauce, butter, egg, and vanilla. Whisk to combine.
- Add the wet ingredients and the grated carrots to the dry ingredients. Mix just until no large clumps of flour remain. Do not over mix.
- Pour the batter into the muffin liners.
- Bake for 21-23 minutes. Cool 5 minutes before serving.
Check out these other great recipes from Recipe Redux bloggers.