This crock pot meatball recipe is about as easy as homemade meatballs can get. With most meatballs, you need to fry or bake them first. In this recipe, you simply put raw meatballs in a crock pot with pasta sauce and let them simmer. The key is using lean ground beef so that the sauce doesn’t become greasy. Or, you could even substitute the lean beef for ground turkey or chicken breast.
Since the pasta sauce and meatballs are simmered together for 8 hours, the sauce gets infused with rich meaty flavor. This makes for some fantastic spaghetti and meatballs! Or, use this meatball recipe for meatball sliders, meatball subs, or meatball appetizers.
Start by mixing up an egg with minced onion, chopped parsley, minced garlic, salt, pepper, Italian seasoned breadcrumbs, and grated parmesan cheese.
Use your fingers to lightly break apart the ground beef and add it to the bowl with the bread crumb mixture.
Using your fingers, lightly toss the crumbled ground beef and bread crumb mixture until just combined. Over-mixed meatballs are tough. Using this gentle mixing method will produce tender meatballs.
Use your fingers and the palms of your hands to pack and roll out 16 meatballs. They should be around the size of a golf ball, or slightly smaller.
Add some traditional pasta sauce to a crock pot. Nestle the meatballs down into the sauce, leaving some space between each meatball.
Spoon some sauce over the tops of each meatball so that they are completely submerged in sauce. Let the meatballs and sauce simmer for 6 to 8 hours. If there is grease on top of the sauce after cooking, use a spoon to skim it off. Then, stir gently.
Boil up some pasta for easy and delicious spaghetti and meatballs. Or, serve as appetizers, meatball subs, or meatball sliders.
If you use these meatballs for anything other than pairing with pasta, there will probably be quite a bit of sauce left over. Freeze the leftover sauce for a later use.
Crock Pot Meatballs Recipe
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup chopped flat-leaf parsley, fresh
- 1 tsp. minced garlic
- 1/2 medium yellow onion, finely chopped
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/4 tsp. ground black pepper
- 3/4 cup Italian seasoned bread crumbs
- 1/4 cup parmesan cheese, grated
- 1 1/4 pounds ground beef, 93% lean or leaner
- 1 45 oz. jar traditional pasta sauce
- In a large bowl, beat the egg with a fork. Add the parsley, garlic, onion, salt, pepper, bread crumbs, and parmesan cheese. Stir to combine.
- Use your fingers to lightly break apart the ground beef and add it to the bowl with the bread crumb mixture. Lightly toss the crumbled ground beef and bread crumbs.
- Pack and roll out 16 meatballs, using the palms of your hands. Meatballs should be slightly smaller than a golf ball.
- Add the pasta sauce to a crock pot. Place the meatballs in the sauce, leaving some space between each meatball. Spoon some sauce over the tops of each meatball so that they are completely submerged in sauce.
- Cook on low for 6 to 8 hours. If there is grease on top of the sauce after cooking, use a spoon to skim it off. Gently stir the sauce and meatballs. Serve warm.
|Serving Size||2 meatballs with ¼ cup sauce|
|Amount Per Serving||As Served|
|Calories 246 Calories from fat 146|
|% Daily Value|
|Total Fat 8.9||14%|
|Saturated Fat 2.5||13%|
|Dietary Fiber 2.6||10%|
Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs:
|Total Fat||Less than||65g|
|Sat Fat||Less than||25g|