Skinny Deviled Eggs – The mayo is swapped out for Greek yogurt and only some of the yolks are used in this light, high protein snack or side dish.
Fat free Greek yogurt is an excellent substitute for high fat products such as mayonnaise and sour cream. So, here’s an idea. Use Greek yogurt to make deviled eggs.
Deviled eggs are one of the tastiest ways to eat eggs, in my opinion. But, the traditional recipe is pretty high in fat and calories. By reducing the amount of egg yolks used and swapping the mayonnaise for Greek yogurt, you can make skinny deviled eggs. They’re the perfect low calorie, high protein snack.
To make these skinny deviled eggs, start by hard boiling 6 eggs. Peel them. Cut them in half. And, scoop out the yolks.
Discard one of the egg yolks. Place the rest of the yolks in a bowl and mash with a fork.
Add Greek yogurt, yellow mustard, red wine vinegar, sugar, salt, and pepper to the egg yolks. Stir until smooth. Then, fill the egg whites with the yolk mixture.
I like to transfer the egg yolk mixture to a small food storage bag. Cut one of the bottom corners off of the bag. Then, squeeze the filling through the hole (like a piping bag). I think it’s less messy and looks nicer this way. But, you could also use a spoon to fill the egg whites with the yolk mixture.
One of these skinny deviled eggs has 37 calories with 3.8 grams of protein!
Skinny Deviled Eggs Recipe
- 6 large eggs
- 1/3 cup plain fat free Greek yogurt (I used Fage)
- 1 tsp. yellow mustard
- 1 tsp. red wine vinegar
- 1 tsp. sugar
- ¼ tsp. salt
- ¼ tsp. ground black pepper
- Place the eggs in a large pot. Add enough water to the pot to completely cover the eggs by ½ inch. Bring the water to a boil. Boil the eggs for 12 minutes.
- Drain the hot water from the pot. Cover the eggs (still in the pot) in cold water. Let the eggs rest for 2 minutes. Drain the water and repeat this step until the eggs are completely cool.
- Peel the shell from the eggs. Cut the eggs in half, lengthwise.
- Remove the yolks from the egg whites. Discard one of the egg yolks (2 halves). Add the remaining 5 egg yolks to a small bowl. Mash the yolks with the back of a fork until there are no large lumps. Add the Greek yogurt, mustard, vinegar, sugar, salt, and pepper to the bowl. Stir until well combined and smooth.
- Optional: Transfer the filling to a small plastic food storage bag. Snip one of the corners off of the bag. Squeeze the filling through hole into the egg whites. Or, spoon the filling into the egg whites.