Italian Chicken Noodle Soup – Italian seasoned broth, chicken, pasta, and tons of veggies.
The very first episode that I ever saw of Rachel Ray’s daytime talk show was sometime around 2007. I remember it because she made an Italian chicken noodle soup that inspired me to make this recipe. I’ve probably made this soup 4 or 5 times a year ever since. For someone like me who develops recipes for a living, making a dish that many times means one thing. I really, really like it!
What’s not to like about this soup? It’s healthy, easy to prepare, and delicious.
The base of this soup is an Italian seasoned broth with a touch of tomato sauce. It’s got lean chicken, whole wheat penne pasta ‘noodles’, and tons of veggies.
When I first started making this soup, I used spinach instead of kale. Sometimes I would use fresh baby spinach, and other times I would use frozen spinach that I had thawed and drained. So, if you don’t like kale, you could easily substitute spinach. However, I do recommend the kale. It tastes great in this soup!
Find more of my recipes on TikTok
Italian Chicken Noodle Soup Recipe
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- 3 celery ribs -sliced
- 3 medium carrots -sliced
- 1 large yellow onion -chopped
- 3 garlic cloves -minced
- 1 Tablespoon Italian seasoning
- 2 teaspoons granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 dried bay leaf
- 6 cups chicken broth
- 1 (15 oz.) can petite diced tomatoes
- 1 (8 oz.) can tomato sauce
- 1 lb. boneless skinless chicken breast -cut into bite-size chunks
- 8 oz. penne pasta -half a 1 pound box
- 3 cups fresh baby spinach leaves
- Optional: grated parmesan cheese for topping
- Add the oil to a large soup pot and place over medium-high heat for 1 minute. Add the celery, carrots, and onion. Cook for 5 minutes stirring occasionally.
- Add the garlic, Italian seasoning, sugar, salt, pepper, and bay leaf. Cook 1 minute stirring often.
- Add the broth, diced tomatoes, and tomato sauce. Bring to a boil. Add the chicken and pasta.
- Reduce the heat to medium-low. Simmer for 8 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add the spinach leaves. Simmer for 2 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Remove the pot from the heat. Let the soup rest for 5 minutes before serving. Optional: Sprinkle individual servings with grated parmesan cheese.
Adapted from Italian-Style Chicken Noodle Soup from The Rachel Ray Show.
Check out all of my great chicken recipes.