Avocado Chicken Meatballs in Spicy Tomato Sauce are great as an appetizer or main dish.
These meatballs are made with ground chicken and have chunks of diced avocado mixed right in. They’re simmered in a simple, two ingredient, spicy sauce made with RoTel and tomato sauce.
I’ve served these meatballs on their own as an appetizer. I’ve also served them with slider buns and sliced pepper jack cheese as a main dish. Either way, they’re fantastic!
This recipe is for Recipe Redux’s travel inspired dishes theme.
I got the idea for these meatballs on the last big vacation that my husband and I took together to Puerto Vallarta. I can’t remember the restaurant, but I remember what I ate. That’s always the thing that I remember!
They were beef meatballs in a super spicy sauce. I thought I would recreate them at home using chicken. And, since it’s a Mexican inspired dish, I thought I might be able to get away with adding some avocado. Guess what. It totally works!
Avocado Chicken Meatballs in Spicy Tomato Sauce are great as an appetizer or main dish. They have chunks of avocado mixed right into the meatballs & simmer in a spicy 2 ingredient sauce.
- 1 large egg
- 3/4 cup breadcrumbs
- 1 tsp. garlic powder
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1/2 tsp. ground black pepper
- 1 lb. ground chicken
- 1 avocado
- 2 tbsp. olive oil
- 1 (10 oz.) can RoTel tomatoes and green chilies
- 1 (8 oz.) can tomato sauce
- In a large bowl, beat the egg with a fork until well scrambled. Add the breadcrumbs, garlic powder, salt, and pepper. Stir to combine. Mixture will be crumbly.
- Use your fingers to lightly break apart the ground chicken and add it to the bowl on top of the bread crumb mixture.
- Remove the peel and seed from the avocado. Dice the avocado.
- Add the avocado to the bowl with the chicken. Use your fingers to gently mix the crumbled ground chicken, avocado, and bread crumbs together until just combined. Do not over-mix as this can produce tough meatballs or mashed avocado.
- Pack and roll out 15-16 meatballs, using the palms of your hands.
- Add the oil to a large 12-inch skillet and place it over medium heat for 2 minutes. Add the meatballs to the oil in an even layer. Cook for 5 minutes.
- Use tongs to flip the meatballs over. Cook for 5 minutes.
- Add the RoTel and tomato sauce to the skillet. Stir gently.
- Cook the meatballs in the sauce for 13-15 minutes, stirring occasionally. Meatballs should have an internal temperature of 165 degrees F.
- Serve hot.
Check out these other Recipe Redux blogger recipes.