One pot wonder chicken enchilada bowls are simple and delicious. This is a full meal that can be made in one pot (or skillet) for easy clean up.
Chopped chicken breasts and yellow onions are sautéed in olive oil until they begin to turn golden.
Rice, enchilada sauce, Rotel, chicken broth, corn kernels, and spices are added to the chicken and simmered until the rice soaks up all the flavorful broth.
Black beans are stirred in. Then, the whole thing gets covered in shredded cheese.
These enchilada bowls are fantastic topped with sour cream, chopped tomatoes, and sliced green onions!
One Pot Wonder Chicken Enchilada Bowls Recipe
- 2 tbsp. olive oil
- 1 medium yellow onion, chopped
- 1 lb. boneless, skinless chicken breast, chopped into bite size pieces
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/2 tsp. ground black pepper
- 1 cup rice, uncooked (I used long grain white rice)
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1 14.5 oz. can Rotel diced tomatoes and chilies
- 1 10 oz. can (or jar) enchilada sauce
- 1 cup frozen corn kernels
- 2 tsp. chili powder
- 1 tsp. cumin
- 1 15 oz. can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 cup Mexican blend cheese, shredded
- Optional toppings: shredded lettuce, diced tomatoes, diced green onions, sour cream
- Add the oil to a large skillet or pot and place over medium-high heat for 1 minute. Add the onion, chicken, salt, and pepper. Cook for about 5 minutes, until the onion softens and chicken is no longer pink, stirring occasionally.
- Add the rice to the pot and stir. Cook for 3-4 minutes, stirring occasionally. Some of the chicken and rice should be golden brown.
- Add the chicken broth, Rotel, enchilada sauce, frozen corn, chili powder, and cumin. Stir, and bring the liquid to a boil.
- Reduce to a simmer and cover the skillet/pot. Cook covered, stirring occasionally. Let it cook until the rice has absorbed all of the liquid (about 20 minutes for white rice, brown rice will take longer).
- Remove from the heat. Add the black beans and stir to combine. Top with cheese. Cover and let it rest for 5 minutes.
- Serve warm with optional toppings.
|Serving Size||1½ cups|
|Amount Per Serving||As Served|
|Calories 447 Calories from fat 124|
|% Daily Value|
|Total Fat 13.3||20%|
|Saturated Fat 4.7||24%|
|Dietary Fiber 4.6||18%|
Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs:
|Total Fat||Less than||65g|
|Sat Fat||Less than||25g|