Tomato Parmesan Breakfast Casserole – This savory bread pudding is full of sautéed tomatoes, basil, and parmesan cheese. It’s perfect for breakfast, brunch, or even dinner!
In this dish, a tomato, parmesan, basil, and shallot mixture smothers cubed bread; and an egg custard gets poured over the whole thing. Then, it’s baked until golden brown. It’s really just a savory bread pudding recipe. Yum!
I call it tomato parmesan breakfast casserole, but it can really be eaten any time. I’ve served this savory dish with fruit for breakfast/brunch. But, it’s just as good for dinner, served with a side salad.
I’ve gotten a lot of use out of this recipe over the years. It’s one of those dishes that tastes just as good at room temperature as it does when it’s hot. So, this is one of my go-to recipes to bring to a potluck or party.
To make this dish, get some good bakery-style bread. I have used several breads in this (ciabatta, French, whole wheat, multi-grain) and they have all worked out great. Cut the bread into 1 inch cubes and spread it out in a prepared baking dish.Sauté some thinly sliced shallots in a skillet over medium heat until they are soft. Stir in some halved cherry tomatoes, minced garlic, salt, and pepper. Cook these for just a couple of minutes.
Remove the skillet from the heat and stir in some grated parmesan cheese and chopped basil.
Pour the tomatoes over the bread cubes. Then, prepare the egg custard. In a medium bowl, whisk some eggs with milk, salt, and pepper.
Pour the custard over the bread and tomato mixture. Then, bake until the center of the casserole is set and the top is golden brown.
As I mentioned above, this is a great dish to take to a potluck, brunch, or party since it tastes great at room temperature. Just be sure that it is properly stored within 2 hours after baking. Enjoy!
Find more of my recipes on TikTok
Tomato Parmesan Breakfast Casserole Recipe
- 1 (16 oz.) loaf of bakery-style bread cut into 1 inch cubes
- 2 tbsp. olive oil
- 2 medium shallots, sliced thin
- 12 oz. cherry or grape tomatoes, cut in half
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tsp. salt, divided
- 1/2 tsp. ground black pepper, divided
- 1 cup fresh basil leaves, chopped
- 1 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 8 large eggs
- 1 cup skim milk (or whatever milk you like)
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Place cubed bread in a 9x13 inch baking dish that has been sprayed with cooking spray.
- Heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the shallots and cook until soft (3-4 minutes), stirring occasionally. Add the tomatoes, garlic, ½ teaspoon of salt, and ¼ teaspoon of pepper to the skillet. Cook 3 minutes, stirring occasionally. Remove the skillet from the heat. Stir in the basil and parmesan cheese. Pour the tomato mixture over the cubed bread.
- In a medium bowl, whisk the eggs, milk, ½ teaspoon of salt, and ¼ teaspoon of pepper until well combined. Evenly pour the eggs over the cubed bread and tomatoes in the baking dish. Press the bread down into the eggs with the back of a wooden spoon to ensure the bread gets completely coated.
- Bake for 30-40 minutes, or until the center is set. Let it cool for at least 5 minutes before serving.
Recipe adapted from Tomato Basil Bread Pudding.
The last of our cherry tomatoes were used in this yummy recipe, had loaf of Vienna bread and fresh basil. Made with no changes, and it was delishious!
Will make again, thanks!!
This was all of my favorite flavors.. but for breakfast! The kids and hubby also loved it. Thank you!
I am planning on making this tomorrow for breakfast, I love the flavors! Can’t wait