The Best Buttermilk Banana Bread- This is the best banana bread recipe ever! This is an easy recipe and the bread is so moist and delicious. I absolutely love it!
I made this banana bread recipe when I had over ripe bananas and left-over buttermilk in the refrigerator that I didn’t know what to do with. I was so happy with the result. This is now my go-to banana recipe. It’s that good!
How to make homemade Buttermilk Banana Bread:
- Mash three bananas in a large bowl with the back of a fork.
- Whisk in two eggs.
- Add buttermilk, oil, sugar, and vanilla.
- Mix well.
- In a different bowl, add flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
- Whisk together.
- Stir the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients.
- Pour the batter into a prepared loaf pan.
- Bake for 1 hour in a 350 degree oven.
- Let the bread cool in the pan for 10 minutes.
- Remove from the pan and place on a cooling rack to cool completely before slicing.
- Store covered in the refrigerator (TRUST ME).
How long to cook banana bread:
- The secret to making the best banana bread recipe ever is not overcooking the bread.
- When a toothpick is inserted into the center of the bread, it shouldn’t come out with raw batter on it.
- HOWEVER, it’s good to have moist crumbs on the toothpick.
- I always take mine out at 1 hour and it is perfect.
- Remember, the bread will continue to cook as it rests in the pan.
How do you keep banana bread moist after baking?
This bread is great as soon as it’s cool enough to eat. But, it’s even better if you can cover it and let it set in the refrigerator for a few hours. I like to make it in the evening and serve it for breakfast the next day. Letting the bread rest in the refrigerator makes it incredibly moist. And, it stays moist for days.
What goes good with Banana Bread?
- Peanut Butter
- Chocolate Chips
Chocolate Chip Banana Bread
Easily turn this classic banana bread recipe into chocolate chip banana bread by adding 1 cup of semi-sweet chocolate chips to the batter after the dry ingredients have been added to the wet ingredients.
Looking for more great banana bread recipes? Check these out!
Watch the step by step video for the Best Banana Bread Recipe below:
Best Buttermilk Banana Bread Recipe
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3 medium overripe bananas, mashed with a fork (about 1 cup)
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1/2 cup canola oil (or your preferred cooking oil)
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Spray a 9 by 5 inch loaf pan with cooking spray and set aside.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt
- In a large bowl, whisk together the mashed banana and the eggs. Add the buttermilk, oil, sugar, and vanilla and mix well.
- Stir the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients until just combined. Do not over mix. Pour the batter into the prepared baking pan.
- Bake for 1 hour to 1 hour and 10 minutes. When a toothpick is inserted into the center of the bread, it should come out with moist crumbs but with no raw batter on it.
- Let the bread cool in the pan for 10 minutes. Remove the bread from the pan and place on a cooling rack to cool completely before slicing. Store covered in the refrigerator*.