Zucchini Lasagna Cups are mini portions of vegetarian lasagna. They have layers of wonton wrappers, ricotta, zucchini, pasta sauce, and mozzarella. They’re much quicker and easier to make than traditional lasagna.
It won’t be long before everyone’s home gardens are full of fruits and vegetables. It seems like the one thing that many of my gardening friends have an over abundance of is zucchini. I’ve been trying to get ahead of the game and get a few zucchini recipes published before zucchini season is in full effect.
Today I made these cute little zucchini lasagna cups. They’re extremely easy to make because nothing has to be cooked ahead of time. This also means they come together pretty quickly compared to traditional lasagna assembly.
As with traditional lasagna, this recipe is a layering process. Start by stuffing wonton wrappers down into a muffin tin. Add a creamy ricotta cheese mixture. Lay thinly sliced zucchini on top of the ricotta and press down. Top the zucchini with a layer of pasta sauce and shredded mozzarella. Then, repeat all the layers.
These get baked until the zucchini softens, the cheese is bubbly, and the exposed wonton wrappers are golden and crisp.
- 1 large egg
- 1 1/4 cups part skim ricotta
- 2 tbsp. grated parmesan cheese
- 1 tsp. dried parsley flakes
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 1/4 tsp. ground black pepper
- 24 wonton wrappers
- 1 large zucchini or 2 small
- 1 cup pasta sauce
- 1 1/2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Spray a muffin tin with cooking spray.
- Add the egg to a medium-size bowl and beat to scramble. Add the ricotta, parmesan, parsley, salt, and pepper. Stir until well combined.
- Slice the zucchini into 24 thin slices, about 1/8 inch thick.
- Put 12 of the wonton wrappers in the muffin tin. Push the center of the wrapper down into the tin, forming a cup. Spoon half of the ricotta mixture into the wonton cups. Place 12 of the zucchini slices on the ricotta and press down slightly. Top with half of the pasta sauce and half of the mozzarella.
- Repeat the layers using the remaining ingredients.
- Bake for 18-23 minutes. The edges of the exposed wonton wrappers should be golden brown and crisp. To ensure the zucchini softens, cook for as long as possible without burning the wontons.
- Let the cups cool for 10 minutes before removing from the muffin tin and serving.
This recipe was inspired by Mini Lasagna Cups by Kevin & Amanda.