Pizza stuffed spaghetti squash is a roasted spaghetti squash filled with veggies and pizza sauce, topped with cheese and pepperoni, and baked.
Pizza stuffed spaghetti squash is loaded with veggies and has the flavors of pepperoni pizza. Roasted spaghetti squash is filled with veggies and pizza sauce, topped with cheese and pepperoni, and baked.
To make this dish, start by slicing a spaghetti squash in half and removing the seeds. Brush the inside of the squash with oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Lay the squash cut-side down on a baking sheet. Roast for 45 minutes. Then, flip the squash over.
While the squash is roasting, make the filling. Sautee chopped onion, green pepper and sliced mushrooms. Add garlic, tomato paste, tomato sauce, and seasonings. Let these simmer together to form a thick, chunky pizza sauce. Add sliced black olives to the sauce. Then, pour the filling into the cavities of the spaghetti squash.
Top the spaghetti squash with shredded mozzarella cheese, trying to spread it as close to the sides of the squash as possible. Then, add sliced turkey pepperoni.
Return the squash to the oven until the cheese is melted.
I wrote this recipe as two servings so that each person can have their own pizza stuffed spaghetti squash. But, be aware that these are large portions. To reheat, I put my squash back onto a baking sheet into a 350 degree oven until the center was warm (about 17-20 mins).
Pizza Stuffed Spaghetti Squash Recipe
For the squash
- 1 medium spaghetti squash
- 2 tsp. olive oil
- ¼ tsp. salt
- ¼ tsp. ground black pepper
For the filling
- 1 tbsp. olive oil
- 1 small yellow onion chopped
- 1 medium green pepper chopped
- 1 cup sliced white mushrooms
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 2 tbsp. tomato paste
- 1 (8 oz.) can tomato sauce
- 1/2 tsp. dried oregano leaves
- 1/2 tsp. dried basil leaves
- ½ tsp. granulated sugar
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 1/4 tsp. ground black pepper
- ¼ cup canned drained, sliced black olives
- ¾ cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1 oz. sliced turkey pepperoni
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Optional: Line a baking sheet with aluminum foil.
- Prepare the spaghetti squash. Use a sturdy serrated knife to cut the spaghetti squash in half from stem to end. Scoop the seeds and loose strings out from the center of the squash and discard them. Brush the inside of each half of spaghetti squash with 1 teaspoon of olive oil and sprinkle with a pinch of salt and pepper. Lay the squash cut-side down on the baking sheet. Roast for 45 minutes.
- In the meantime, prepare the filling. In a large skillet, heat 1 tablespoon of olive oil over medium-high heat. Add the onion, bell pepper, and mushrooms. Cook for 7-8 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add the garlic and tomato paste. Cook for 1 minute, stirring often.
- Add the tomato sauce, oregano, basil, sugar, 1/4 teaspoon salt, and ¼ teaspoon black pepper. Reduce the heat to medium-low and simmer for 3-4 minutes, stirring occasionally. Remove the skillet from the heat. Stir in the black olives.
- Flip the squash over, cut-side up. Pour the filling into the cavities of the spaghetti squash. Sprinkle the cheese over the squash, getting as close to the edges as possible. Lay a few slices of pepperoni on top of the cheese.
- Return the squash to the oven for 7 minutes.