Honey Mustard Chicken Salad with Homemade Honey Mustard Dressing is a sweet and tangy entree salad loaded with chicken breast, mixed greens, apples, and pecans.
Disclosure: This post is sponsored by Lipton. Thank you for supporting the brands that support The Wholesome Dish!
I’m a huge fan of chicken salad for lunch. I’m talking the kind of chicken salad that’s primarily chicken in a creamy dressing with a few crunchy bits tossed in. For years, I’ve been adding chopped apples, pecans, and red onions to my chicken salad. I like that sweetness and crunch from the apples.
The other day I was looking at the pound of uncooked chicken sitting in my refrigerator and wondering what I should make for dinner. Then, it hit me! I could turn my favorite lunchtime chicken salad recipe into a filling flavorful dinner salad. I love taking traditional family meals and reimagining them!
This salad starts with a sweet and tangy homemade honey mustard dressing that does double duty.
The honey mustard is used as a salad dressing and as a marinade for the chicken.
The bite-size chunks of marinated chicken breast get browned in a skillet.
Then, that amazingly flavorful chicken goes on top of a big salad, full of mixed baby greens, red onion, cherry tomatoes, chopped apples, and pecans.
In my house, dinner time is important. It’s that time everyday when we can come together as a family and be present in the moment. I’m kind of a stickler for no television or cell phones during dinner. Who’s with me? 🙂
We enjoyed our dinner salad with ice cold Lipton Green Tea Citrus flavored iced tea. Its sweet and fruity flavors were a perfect compliment to the sweet and tangy honey mustard dressing and crunchy apples in our salad.
Lipton iced tea can be the perfect accompaniment to a meaningful meal. The Food Network has teamed up with Lipton and created the the Bright Bites destination on Foodnetwork.com. It’s a great place to find videos, articles, and reimagined seasonal recipes perfect for bringing people together for a memorable meal.
Honey Mustard Chicken Salad with Homemade Honey Mustard Dressing
- 1/4 cup honey
- 3 tbsp. olive oil divided
- 2 tbsp. Dijon mustard
- 2 tbsp. whole grain mustard or stone ground
- 2 tsp. red wine vinegar
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 1 lb. boneless skinless chicken breasts cut into bite-size chunks
- 8 cups mixed baby lettuce greens
- 1 1/2 cups chopped apples
- 1 cup halved cherry tomatoes
- 1/2 cup sliced red onion
- 1/4 cup pecans
- In a small bowl, add the honey, 2 tablespoons of olive oil, Dijon mustard, whole grain mustard, vinegar, and salt. Whisk until well combined.
- Pour half of the honey mustard dressing into a shallow dish. Add the chopped chicken to the dish. Stir to coat the chicken in honey mustard. Cover and store in the refrigerator to marinate for 1-4 hours.
- Cover the unused honey mustard and store it in the refrigerator to use as a salad dressing later.
- Add 1 tablespoon of olive oil to a large non-stick skillet and place it over medium heat. Use a large slotted spoon to transfer the chicken from the marinade to the skillet. Discard the used marinade. Cook the chicken for 6-8 minutes, stirring often, until the chicken is cooked through (internal temperature of 165 degrees Fahrenheit). Cool the cooked chicken for 5 minutes.
- In a large bowl, add the lettuce. Top with apples, tomatoes, red onion, pecans, and cooked chicken.
- Serve the salad with the stored honey mustard dressing.
This is a sponsored conversation written by me on behalf of Lipton. The opinions and text are all mine.