Greek Stuffed Cucumbers with Chicken and Yogurt Sauce are an easy, low carb, and full of Greek flavor. Greek seasoned chicken is stuffed inside cucumber boats and drizzled with a lemon yogurt sauce.
Lately I’ve been playing around with different ideas for using fruits and vegetables in place of more processed foods like crackers, bread, pita, etc. Last week I posted cranberry tuna salad on apple slices and it seems to be gaining popularity pretty quickly.
This week worked with cucumbers, and came up with Greek stuffed cucumbers with chicken and yogurt sauce.
I was inspired by the chicken gyro. A chicken gyro typically consists of warm pita filled with flavorful Greek-spiced chicken, onion, tomato, feta, and tzatziki sauce. Tzatziki sauce is tangy sauce made of Greek yogurt, lemon juice, lemon zest, shredded cucumber, and spices.
In this recipe: I got rid of the pita, took the cucumber out of the sauce, and used the cucumber in place of the pita for serving.
Cucumbers are peeled, sliced in half, and the seeds are scooped out. This crates a hollow space in the cucumber (almost like a canoe), perfect for filling up with yummy stuff. A flavorful Greek-spiced ground chicken mixture is spooned into the cucumber. Then, it gets topped off with a lemony Greek yogurt sauce.
This recipe is perfect for people who are watching their carbohydrate intake, or are on low-carb diets. I had mine as a light, healthy lunch. But, these could also be cut into smaller pieces and served as an appetizer.
Greek Stuffed Cucumbers with Chicken and Yogurt Sauce
- 1 lb. ground lean chicken breast
- 1/2 a medium yellow onion finely chopped
- 1 tbsp. dried oregano leaves
- 1/2 tsp. plus 1/4 tsp. salt
- 1/2 tsp. plus 1/8 tsp. ground black pepper
- 1/2 tsp. ground cumin
- 1/2 cup 2% Greek yogurt
- 1/2 tsp. sugar
- 1/2 tsp. lemon zest
- 1/2 tsp. lemon juice
- 3 medium cucumbers
- Add the chicken to a large non-stick skillet over medium-high heat. Break apart the chicken with a wooden spoon. Add the onion, oregano, 1/2 teaspoon salt, 1/2 teaspoon black pepper, and the cumin to the skillet. Cook for 10-12 minutes (until chicken is cooked through), stirring occasionally. Let the chicken cool for at least 10 minutes.
- In the meantime, prepare the yogurt sauce. In a small bowl, add the Greek yogurt, sugar, zest, juice, 1/4 teaspoon salt, and 1/8 teaspoon black pepper. Stir until well combined.
- Prepare the cucumbers. Peel the skin from the cucumbers. Cut them in half, lengthwise. Use a spoon to scoop out the cucumber seeds, creating a hollow space in the middle of the cucumbers. Pat the cucumbers dry with paper towels.
- Spoon the chicken mixture into the hollowed out cucumbers. Use your hands to pack the chicken down into the hollow space.
- Drizzle the yogurt mixture on top of the chicken, or serve it on the side.