Chicken Fajita Stuffed Sweet Potato Foil Packs are sweet potatoes stuffed with a flavorful chicken fajita mixture, rolled up in a foil packet, and baked.
To make these foil packets, cut a sweet potato in half and lay it in the middle of a large sheet of aluminum foil, about 1 1/2 feet wide. The potato should be cut side up and touching in the middle. Spoon the fajita filling on top of the potato, which is a flavorful mixture of seasoned dark meat chicken, bell peppers, and onions.
Bring the edges of the foil up and over the potato and roll them down together. Then, roll in the ends of the foil, creating a sealed packet.
Bake until the sweet potato is soft and the fajita filling is cooked through
I topped my chicken fajita stuffed sweet potato with guacamole. Chopped tomato, chopped avocado, or sour cream would also be great toppings.
Chicken Fajita Stuffed Sweet Potato Foil Packs Recipe
- 1 lb. boneless skinless chicken thighs chopped
- 1 large red bell pepper chopped
- 1 small yellow onion chopped
- 2 tbsp. finely chopped cilantro leaves
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 1 tbsp. olive oil
- 1 tbsp. lime juice
- 1 1/2 tsp. chili powder
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. lime zest
- 1/2 tsp. cumin
- 1/4 tsp. ground black pepper
- 4 medium sweet potatoes
- Optional: Chopped avocado chopped tomatoes, guacamole, or sour cream for serving
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- In a large bowl, add the chicken, red pepper, onion, cilantro, and garlic. Stir well.
- In a small bowl, add the olive oil, lime juice, chili powder, salt, lime zest, cumin, and black pepper. Whisk until well combined.
- Pour the seasoned oil over the chicken and vegetables. Stir until the chicken and vegetables are evenly coated.
- Cut the sweet potatoes in half, lengthwise. Place 1 sweet potato in the center of a large piece of aluminum foil (about 1 1/2 feet wide). The sweet potato halves should be cut-side up and touching in the center. Spoon 1/4 of the chicken mixture onto the sweet potato. Bring the edges of the foil up over the potato and roll them down together. Then, roll in the ends of the foil, creating a sealed packet. Place the packet on a baking sheet. Repeat with the remaining sweet potatoes and chicken mixture.
- Bake for 1 hour and 15 minutes.
- Open the foil packs and serve. Optional: top with avocado, tomato, guacamole, or sour cream.