This Cheddar Apple Bacon Stuffed Chicken recipe features chicken thighs stuffed with sliced apples, shredded cheddar, and crumbled bacon; topped with honey mustard sauce; and baked.
Disclosure: This recipe post is sponsored by Just BARE Chicken. Thank you for supporting the brands that support The Wholesome Dish!
I like to think of this recipe as an easy version of stuffed chicken. I say that because most stuffed chicken recipes call for chicken breasts that need to be pounded thin and flat, then rolled up and secured with tooth picks.
This recipe takes a shortcut by starting with Just BARE Organic Boneless Skinless Chicken Thighs. The product is already thin, wide, and flat, making them perfect for stuffing. It’s also hand-trimmed with no unwanted fat and no artificial ingredients. The organic chicken thighs come from chickens that are vegetable and grain fed, have access to outdoors, and are raised with no added hormones, and no antibiotics-ever.
For more information about Just BARE Organic Boneless Skinless Chicken Thighs, visit the Just BARE website. You can also check out Just BARE on their social channels: Facebook, Pinterest, Twitter, YouTube, and Instagram.
To make this recipe, lay the chicken on a sheet pan. Layer sliced apples, shredded cheddar cheese, and crumbled cooked bacon pieces on half of each chicken thigh. Then, fold the bare side of the chicken over the filling, like you’re closing a book.
A simple honey mustard sauce gets brushed on the stuffed chicken before going into the oven to bake. And, more sweet and tangy honey mustard sauce gets coated onto the chicken just before serving.
Cheddar Apple Bacon Stuffed Chicken recipe
- 20 oz. Just BARE Organic Boneless Skinless Chicken Thighs
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 1/8 tsp. ground black pepper
- 1 small apple, thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 4 strips of bacon, cooked and crumbled (just under 1/2 cup of crumbles)
- 2 tbsp. honey
- 1 tbsp. stone ground mustard (or whole grain)
- 1 tbsp. Dijon mustard
- 1 tbsp. olive oil
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit. Spray a large rimmed baking sheet with cooking spray. (Optional: line the baking sheet with aluminum foil then spray well with cooking spray for easier clean up.)
- Lay the chicken thighs flat, smooth side down, on the baking sheet. Sprinkle evenly with salt and pepper.
- Divide the apple, cheddar, and bacon on the chicken, covering half of each chicken thigh.
- Fold the chicken thighs in half, folding the bare side over the filling. Press down on the top of the chicken to flatten out and keep from opening up as it cooks.
- In a small bowl, add the honey, ground mustard, Dijon mustard, and oil. Whisk until well combined. Pour out 2 tablespoons of the honey mustard into a separate bowl and set aside for later use.
- Brush the honey mustard evenly over the chicken. Bake for 25-30 minutes, until the chicken has reached an internal temperature of 165 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Brush with the reserved honey mustard before serving.
|Serving Size||1 stuffed chicken thigh|
|Amount Per Serving||As Served|
|Calories 234 Calories from fat|
|% Daily Value|
|Total Fat 15.2||23%|
|Saturated Fat 5.6||28%|
|Dietary Fiber 0.4||2%|
Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs:
|Total Fat||Less than||65g|
|Sat Fat||Less than||25g|