Banana pudding cheesecake bars taste like a cross between cheesecake and old-fashioned banana pudding. It’s creamy banana cheesecake filling on top of a vanilla wafer crust makes it resemble banana pudding, even though there isn’t actually pudding in the recipe.
The best part is, it’s a lightened up version of cheesecake. You would never guess that by tasting it though.
Here’s what I did to lighten it up:
- Swapped out regular cream cheese for 1/3 less fat cream cheese and fat free Greek yogurt
- Added the natural sweetness of bananas to reduce the amount of added sugar
- Used less than half of the butter called for in a traditional graham cracker crust
The end result is a fantastic cheesecake dessert that comes in at 207 calories. This dessert is a great way to indulge without going overboard. Enjoy!
Banana Pudding Cheesecake Bars Recipe
- 2 1/2 cups vanilla wafer cookies (about 50 cookies)
- 3 tbsp. unsalted butter, melted
- 2 – 8 oz. packages reduced fat cream cheese (Neufchatel)
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 2 ripe bananas, sliced
- 1/2 cup fat free, plain Greek yogurt (or whatever yogurt you like)
- 2 tsp. vanilla extract
- 2 large eggs
- Optional: whipped cream for topping
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F. Spray a 7 x 11 inch baking dish with cooking spray.
- Prepare the crust. Crush the vanilla wafers. You can place the cookies into a large plastic food storage bag and lightly smash them with a mallet or small frying pan. Or, for a finer crumb, pulverize the cookies in a food processor.
- Mix the cookie crumbs with the melted butter until well combined. Firmly press the crumbs into the bottom of the prepared baking dish. Set aside.
- Prepare the cheesecake filling. In a large bowl, add the cream cheese, sugar, and banana. Beat with a mixer on medium speed until cream cheese is smooth and only small chunks of banana remain. Add the Greek yogurt and vanilla; beat until smooth. Then, beat in the eggs, one at a time.
- Pour the cheesecake filling over the crust. Bake for 30 minutes, until the center is almost set. Let the cheesecake cool at room temperature for 45 minutes. Then, refrigerate for at least 3 hours.
- Slice into 15 bars. Serve with whipped cream (optional). Store covered in the refrigerator.
|Serving Size||1 bar|
|Amount Per Serving||As Served|
|Calories 207 Calories from fat|
|% Daily Value|
|Total Fat 11.9||18%|
|Saturated Fat 6.3||32%|
|Dietary Fiber 0.4||2%|
Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs:
|Total Fat||Less than||65g|
|Sat Fat||Less than||25g|