Avocado hummus taquitos are tortillas with hummus, sliced avocado, and shredded cheese rolled into small tubes; and baked until crunchy.
It’s time for another Recipe Redux post! This month’s theme is double duty recipes. These are the kind of recipes that you make once and use in a variety of ways.
I used my recipe for Simple Hummus Without Tahini (which I usually just use for snacking) to make some awesome vegetarian taquitos.
Avocado hummus taquitos are flour tortillas with hummus, sliced avocado, and shredded cheese rolled up into tubes; and baked until crunchy.
For easy rolling, spoon the hummus onto the tortilla about an inch away from one of the edges. Spread the hummus into a 1 inch wide strip from top to bottom. Then, top with the sliced avocado and shredded cheese. Start at the edge closest to the filling and roll the tortilla around the filling as tightly as possible without tearing the tortilla.
Place the taquitos on a baking sheet with the seam side down. Brush them with olive oil. Then, bake them until they’re golden brown and crisp.
As I baked these, some of the avocado slices began to slide out of the ends of the taquitos. If this happens, as soon as the taquitos come out of the oven, use tongs to hold on to the taquito and use the back of a spoon to push the avocado back in. Then, let the taquitos cool for 5 to 10 minutes. At that point, the avocados will stay in place.
I served my taquitos with a little taco sauce and sour cream.
Avocado Hummus Taquitos
- 2 medium avocados
- 8 small flour tortillas
- 1 cup plain hummus
- 1/2 cup shredded pepper jack cheese Mexican blend would also be good
- 2 tsp. olive oil
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Spray a large baking sheet with cooking spray or line with parchment paper.
- Cut the avocados in half and remove the seeds. Use a large spoon to scoop the avocado out of it’s skin. Slice them into 24 thin pieces (each avocado half gets cut into 6 pieces).
- Warm the tortillas in a microwave for about 10 seconds to make them more pliable, if needed.
- Spoon about 2 tablespoons of the hummus onto one of the tortillas about 1 inch from one of the edges. Spread the hummus into a 1 inch wide strip. Lay 3 avocado slices on top of the hummus. Sprinkle 1 tablespoon of cheese on top of the avocado. Tightly roll the tortilla around the filling, starting at the edge closest to the filling. Place the taquito on the baking sheet, seam side down. Repeat with the remaining ingredients, making a total of eight taquitos.
- Brush the tops of the taquitos with the olive oil.
- Bake for 14 to 16 minutes, until the taquitos are golden brown and crisp.
- If some of the avocados have started to slide out of the taquitos, use the back of a spoon to push them back in. Let the taquitos rest for 5 to 10 minutes before serving.