Here is what you will need: romaine lettuce, carrots, red onion, tomato, ground turkey, black beans, taco seasoning, tortilla strips, salsa, and Italian dressing. Add more veggies if you want, this is just what I had in my fridge.
*Note – Detailed printable recipe at the bottom of this post.
Start by cooking and draining the ground turkey, add the taco seasoning, some water, and black beans. Simmer these together until the sauce is thick. Remove from heat and stir in the salsa. Let this mixture cool for 10 minutes off the heat. If this mixture is added to the salad while it is too hot, the lettuce becomes soft and wilted.
In the meantime, get all your prepared veggies into a large bowl.
Once turkey mixture has cooled, toss the salad with the Italian dressing. Then, add the turkey mixture to the salad and toss.
Crushed tortilla chips would work in place of the tortilla strips. Just watch the amount used. Adding a large amount of tortilla chips to this salad will add a lot of extra calories and fat. You really don’t need much to get that salty crunch.
Serve it up. This makes four big servings. And because of all of the fiber and protein in this salad, it is very filling.
Calories: 405 Fat(g): 15 Saturated Fat(g): 3.1
Protein(g): 28.4 Carbohydrate(g): 37.1 Fiber(g): 9.1
- 1lb ground turkey
- 1 packet taco seasoning
- 1 can black beans, drained and rinsed
- ½ cup salsa
- 6 cups romaine lettuce, chopped
- 1 cup carrots, shredded or chopped
- ½ small red onion, sliced
- 1 medium tomato, chopped
- ¼ cup Italian dressing
- ½ cup tortilla strips
- In a large non-stick skillet over medium-high heat, brown the ground turkey and break it apart with a wooden spoon. Once it is completely cooked through, remove any excess fat.
- Stir in the taco seasoning packet and any water that the seasoning packet calls for (mine called for ½ cup). Stir in the black beans and bring this mixture to a simmer for 5 minutes.
- Remove the turkey mixture from the heat and stir in the salsa. Let this cool at room temperature for ten minutes.
- In the meantime, place the lettuce, carrots, red onion, and tomato in a large bowl.
- Once the turkey mixture has cooled for ten minutes, toss the salad with the dressing. Then, add the turkey mixture to the salad and toss to combine.
- Top with tortilla strips. Serve immediately